Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group

  • Russell
    Message 1 of 50 , May 3 9:48 PM
      I don't want to sound stupid or anything but I don't understand what you
      are trying to say.
      Russell

      Mark Jensen wrote:

      > Cameron Simpson wrote:
      > > It's generally best to post a separate message (with a fresh descriptive
      > > Subject: line) per question. In that way each question can be addressed
      > > and discussion by people with knowledge in that area, without mixing in
      > > other topics.
      >
      > In addition to what Cameron stated about items getting lost or
      > overlooked, posting a reply to an earlier post also muddles things up.
      > For example, look at the highlighted message here:
      > http://markjensen.googlepages.com/thread.png
      >
      > Looking at the dates of the message, and the one it is a reply to, you
      > can see that it is responding to an item that has been dead for over
      > half a year, and the new post is extremely out-of-place in a threaded
      > view.
      >
      > Mark
    • Chris Becker
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 28, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Shellie <mbuter30@...> wrote:
        > <snip>
        >
        > I did get the program to unzip in windows but it was supposed to be games
        > for linux so maybe where I got the games from was mistaken. Not sure but
        > will still continue to attempt unziping it.

        Some general notes on Linux games: In Ubuntu (one of the distros you
        mentioned you were testing), you can go to Applications ->Software
        center -> type "games" into the search box to browse. You can also
        have a look at getdeb.net, which has a number of aptitude-packaged
        games available for Ubuntu. <--those are all installable with one
        click. I'm not as familiar with openSuse, so I won't comment on that.

        Of course, there is also the option to install windows games using
        Wine (which is a compatibility layer to run a number of Windows
        programs under Linux) but results will vary depending on the game you
        have chosen. It is also possible to download games from developers
        site or elsewhere on the web. These may come in a compressed format
        and need to be compiled from the command line. Though I can't imagine
        there would be any games for linux archived in the 7z format, unless
        it is a collection of flash games or something else downloaded from
        bittorrent. But I am certainly no expert on that. Not an expert on
        much, for that mater. :)