Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Setting up MBR

  • GIRISH SHASTRI
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
      Thank u for ur information. I Follow that steps and it really help me to get back my linux back.

      Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote: GIRISH SHASTRI wrote:
      > i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

      Formatting a drive doesn't touch the MBR. I was doing exactly that on a
      running server last night. Before you start messing with this, make
      sure you can not, in fact, boot into your Linux partition.

      > now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling LINUX

      Boot into your Linux installation using a boot disk or CD, then run either

      grub-install

      or

      lilo

      depending on the bootloader you use. You'll probably have to mount your
      hard drive after you boot to the disk (assuming you didn't make a boot
      disk during installation, which is always a good idea). Then you'll
      have to chroot into your mounted hard drive before running the above
      commands.

      Chad Martin

      ---------------------------------

    • putty1058
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
        download a knoppix iso and burn it to cd best rescue disk in the known
        world! No one should be without one.

        after downloading boot your computer from the cd, this will give you a
        live linux distribution (debian based). while booting there are some
        options and tools which can be found on the cd with "f2".

        once you are up and running open a terminal and mount your hard drive
        (possibly /hda1 )
        then locate grub or lilo "/boot.ini" file. You will need to use vim or
        a text editor with admin privaleges to edit.

        here is an example of a "/boot.ini" file for a dual boot system you
        will have to determine if this will work for you.
        [boot loader]
        timeout=5
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
        Professional" /fastdetect
        c:\linux.bin="Linux"
        just google "dual boot grub or lilo file" for more help or examples.

        good luck may the penguin always smile upon you!

        John Putnam

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, GIRISH SHASTRI <mca_girish@...>
        wrote:

        > Thank u for ur information. I Follow that steps and it really help me
        to get back my linux back.

        > Chad Martin chad@... wrote: GIRISH SHASTRI wrote:
        > > i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i
        have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

        > Formatting a drive doesn't touch the MBR. I was doing exactly that on
        > running server last night. Before you start messing with this, make
        > sure you can not, in fact, boot into your Linux partition.
        >
        > > now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling
        LINUX

        > Boot into your Linux installation using a boot disk or CD, then run
        either

        > grub-install
        >
        > or
        >
        > lilo
        >
        > depending on the bootloader you use. You'll probably have to mount
        your
        > hard drive after you boot to the disk (assuming you didn't make a boot
        > disk during installation, which is always a good idea). Then you'll
        > have to chroot into your mounted hard drive before running the above
        > commands.
        >
        > Chad Martin
        >

        > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • Bob Hodges
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2006
          Here's how to get your MBR back with a Windows CD.

          Boot from 2K/XP CD, and choose the repair option (R key) and then C key
          (if
          Win2K) to start recovery console. Select your installation from the
          list and enter the admin password. At the input prompt, enter the
          command:

          fixmbr (and then y to confirm)

          Master boot record restored.

          Reboot the system. You're done.

          Bob

          i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i
          have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

          now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling
          LINUX

          waiting for ur favourable replay....

          To unsubscribe from this list, please email
          LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
          Yahoo! Groups Links