Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Setting up MBR

  • Dhaval Vadgama
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2006
      Quiet easy to do, I will show how i do it with Redhat/Fedora

      1) Boot linux in rescuemod w ith bootable cd i.e. cd1
      2) chroot to /mnt/sysimage
      3) chekc your original grub configuration and make sue there is entry for windows
      4) go to /etc and run grub install command

      there is also way to copy the linux bootimage and copy it on windows and boot linux from windows bootloader. google it you will find out

      Note that steps are just guide lines and not exact step so don't blame me if you can;t follow them properly for more info there is always google and other notes

      Regards
      Dhaval

      GIRISH SHASTRI <mca_girish@...> wrote:
      hello friends,
      i need ur help
      i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

      now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling LINUX

      waiting for ur favourable replay....

      ---------------------------------

    • GIRISH SHASTRI
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
        Thank u for ur information. I Follow that steps and it really help me to get back my linux back.

        Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote: GIRISH SHASTRI wrote:
        > i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

        Formatting a drive doesn't touch the MBR. I was doing exactly that on a
        running server last night. Before you start messing with this, make
        sure you can not, in fact, boot into your Linux partition.

        > now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling LINUX

        Boot into your Linux installation using a boot disk or CD, then run either

        grub-install

        or

        lilo

        depending on the bootloader you use. You'll probably have to mount your
        hard drive after you boot to the disk (assuming you didn't make a boot
        disk during installation, which is always a good idea). Then you'll
        have to chroot into your mounted hard drive before running the above
        commands.

        Chad Martin

        ---------------------------------

      • putty1058
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2006
          download a knoppix iso and burn it to cd best rescue disk in the known
          world! No one should be without one.

          after downloading boot your computer from the cd, this will give you a
          live linux distribution (debian based). while booting there are some
          options and tools which can be found on the cd with "f2".

          once you are up and running open a terminal and mount your hard drive
          (possibly /hda1 )
          then locate grub or lilo "/boot.ini" file. You will need to use vim or
          a text editor with admin privaleges to edit.

          here is an example of a "/boot.ini" file for a dual boot system you
          will have to determine if this will work for you.
          [boot loader]
          timeout=5
          [operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
          Professional" /fastdetect
          c:\linux.bin="Linux"
          just google "dual boot grub or lilo file" for more help or examples.

          good luck may the penguin always smile upon you!

          John Putnam

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, GIRISH SHASTRI <mca_girish@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank u for ur information. I Follow that steps and it really help me
          to get back my linux back.

          > Chad Martin chad@... wrote: GIRISH SHASTRI wrote:
          > > i have setup my PCQLinux 2006 and WinXP. But for certain reasons i
          have to format my C: and hence i lost my MBR.

          > Formatting a drive doesn't touch the MBR. I was doing exactly that on
          > running server last night. Before you start messing with this, make
          > sure you can not, in fact, boot into your Linux partition.
          >
          > > now please help how can i setup my MBR again without reinstalling
          LINUX

          > Boot into your Linux installation using a boot disk or CD, then run
          either

          > grub-install
          >
          > or
          >
          > lilo
          >
          > depending on the bootloader you use. You'll probably have to mount
          your
          > hard drive after you boot to the disk (assuming you didn't make a boot
          > disk during installation, which is always a good idea). Then you'll
          > have to chroot into your mounted hard drive before running the above
          > commands.
          >
          > Chad Martin
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
          LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

        • Bob Hodges
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2006
            Here's how to get your MBR back with a Windows CD.

            Boot from 2K/XP CD, and choose the repair option (R key) and then C key
            (if
            Win2K) to start recovery console. Select your installation from the
            list and enter the admin password. At the input prompt, enter the
            command:

            fixmbr (and then y to confirm)

            Master boot record restored.

            Reboot the system. You're done.