Help

  • hello_austin2021
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2006
      I was wondering if any of you know where i could get a version of
      linux where it runs off a cd?
    • Leo Whiteway
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- hello_austin2021 <hello_austin2021@...>
        wrote:

        > I was wondering if any of you know where i could get
        > a version of
        > linux where it runs off a cd?

        Almost all of them do.
        Try:
        www.distorwatch.com
        Mepis
        Kanotix
        SuSE
        Knoppix
        There are a lot.

        > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will
        > be removed.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brad Rogers
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006

          Hello Austin,

          That /should/ read; http://www.distrowatch.com

          --
          Regards _
          / ) "The blindingly obvious is
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
            Hi Austin,

            If you have good enough bandwidth and HIGH download
            limits you may try to Download the KNOPIX Live CD or
            Suse Live Cd for free from their websites. And if you
            want to buy it try to look at some well known Computer
            Stationary Shop or ask in LUG (Linux User Group) for
            same.

            Regards
            Dhaval

            wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            I was wondering if any of you know where i could get a
            version of
            linux where it runs off a cd?

            To unsubscribe from this list, please email
            LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will
            be removed.

            Linux
            operating system
            Unix operating system
            Linux software
            Linux

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

          • hello_austin2021
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
              But do all of the programs on this site, distrowatch.com, actually run
              off the cd and not actually load onto the computer?
            • Leo Whiteway
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2006
                wrote:

                > But do all of the programs on this site,
                > distrowatch.com, actually run
                > off the cd and not actually load onto the computer?

                No. Not all. I know that mepis and Kanotix do for
                sure.
                You get the option of installing them after you boot
                up on the cd and thus have a chance to try things out.
                If you like it, you can then install it.
                There are many others and someone will tell you which
                I am sure.

                > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will
                > be removed.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Brad Rogers
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2006
                  On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:03:16 -0000
                  "hello_austin2021" <hello_austin2021@...> wrote:

                  Hello hello_austin2021,

                  > But do all of the programs on this site, distrowatch.com, actually
                  > run off the cd and not actually load onto the computer?

                  Look for "Live" distro's. They run from CD. Keep in mind though, that
                  they will be slow compared with the same distro installed on your HD,
                  since everything has to load, decompress, and then run, from the CD.

                  --
                  Regards _
                  / ) "The blindingly obvious is
                  / _)rad never immediately apparent"
                • james boyd
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Leo Whiteway wrote:

                    > --- hello_austin2021 <hello_austin2021@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > But do all of the programs on this site,
                    > > distrowatch.com, actually run
                    > > off the cd and not actually load onto the computer?
                    > >
                    > No. Not all. I know that mepis and Kanotix do for
                    > sure.
                    > You get the option of installing them after you boot
                    > up on the cd and thus have a chance to try things out.
                    > If you like it, you can then install it.
                    > There are many others and someone will tell you which
                    > I am sure.
                    >

                    > > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                    > > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will
                    > > be removed.
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Linux operating system
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linux+operating+system&w1=Linux+operating+system&w2=Unix+operating+system&w3=Linux+software&w4=Linux&c=4&s=86&.sig=6JuG3Bj5fAus1wla23ogrg>
                    > Unix operating system
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Unix+operating+system&w1=Linux+operating+system&w2=Unix+operating+system&w3=Linux+software&w4=Linux&c=4&s=86&.sig=temN2tUfi-w3rkerMA6ugw>
                    > Linux software
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linux+software&w1=Linux+operating+system&w2=Unix+operating+system&w3=Linux+software&w4=Linux&c=4&s=86&.sig=ZPLVvuHni7Nr5zeEVWlZgQ>
                    >
                    > Linux
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linux&w1=Linux+operating+system&w2=Unix+operating+system&w3=Linux+software&w4=Linux&c=4&s=86&.sig=dRm3wox-RYtNtZ-EZOP4eA>

                    mandriva has a bootable cd called mandriva move. suse has a live
                    edition. Ubuntu has one to, I believe. then there is mepis, kanotix
                    and knopix. I prefear knopix or kanotix for bootable cd.
                  • JIm
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 13, 2014
                      Does someone know the email command for Digest mode?

                      TIA
                      Jim
                    • Linux Canuck
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 13, 2014
                        Are you referring to Yahoo Groups in Digest Mode? There is no command. You go to Yahoo Groups and choose Manage My Groups. You click the drop down on the right and choose from Individual Emails, Daily Digest, No email or Special Notices.

                        On Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:44:24 PM, JIm <aa1rb0@...> wrote:

                        Does someone know the email command for Digest mode?

                        TIA
                        Jim

                      • Gene Henley
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 16, 2014

                          The scree shift in Ubuntu to the left,was apparently a LG monitor drive problem. I put up a Dell monitor in its place,and the screen is now normal. Strangely, the LG monitor presented OK in Windows.
                          Other than that, I have 12.o4 in two of my Dells,and am now hooked on it. (So far.) :-D
                                               Gene Henley