Kubuntu

  • OldSchool
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi Folks,
      I recently installed Kubuntu on a second drive, I'm dual booting xp pro/linux. Linux detected all of my hardware, however I need to install the linux ati driver for my video card which is the x850xt. I went to the ati site and discovered to my horror that the only distros that will support the driver are redhat enterprise, and suse!!!! Is this correct? That seems a bit odd to me, but I'm new to linux, any suggestions?

      oldschool

    • Steve Saxon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        On Monday 27 Feb 2006 12:57, OldSchool wrote:
        > Hi Folks,
        > I recently installed Kubuntu on a second drive, I'm dual booting xp
        > pro/linux. Linux detected all of my hardware, however I need to install the
        > linux ati driver for my video card which is the x850xt. I went to the ati
        > site and discovered to my horror that the only distros that will support
        > the driver are redhat enterprise, and suse!!!! Is this correct? That seems
        > a bit odd to me, but I'm new to linux, any suggestions?
        >

        > oldschool

        Follow this how-to from the Ubuntu Documentation page. I've just used it to
        install the Nvidia drivers. There is a section for ATI cards also. It was
        very easy to follow.

        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto

        Hope it helps.

        Regards

        Steve
      • OldSchool
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
          Thanks very much Steve!!
          On Monday 27 Feb 2006 12:57, OldSchool wrote:
          > Hi Folks,
          > I recently installed Kubuntu on a second drive, I'm dual booting xp
          > pro/linux. Linux detected all of my hardware, however I need to install the
          > linux ati driver for my video card which is the x850xt. I went to the ati
          > site and discovered to my horror that the only distros that will support
          > the driver are redhat enterprise, and suse!!!! Is this correct? That seems
          > a bit odd to me, but I'm new to linux, any suggestions?
          >

          > oldschool

          Follow this how-to from the Ubuntu Documentation page. I've just used it to
          install the Nvidia drivers. There is a section for ATI cards also. It was
          very easy to follow.

          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto

          Hope it helps.

          Regards

          Steve

          Linux

        • Steve Saxon
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
            On Monday 27 Feb 2006 17:44, OldSchool wrote:
            > Thanks very much Steve!!

            You're welcome.

            It's worth exploring the Ubuntu documentation, it's among the easiest to
            follow that I have come across.

            Steve

          • OldSchool
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2006
              Ok,
              Tried that kubuntu howto Steve, but got some errors. It told me that module-assistant isn't available, but is referred to by another program. This is more complicated than I thought it would be, almost not worth it to be honest with you. That howto keeps referring to synaptic which I never saw any where, so I'm stumped. With redhat I was used to managing rpm's but this is deb, and to install an rpm you need alien.....lol....ok.