Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Top Linux Web-Site?

  • naresh bhalala
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2005
      Hello Everyone,

      I would like to request you all to guide me for purchasing new PC !!
      I was having a configuration PIII 933MHz 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD...configuration !!!
      Now I would like to purchase/upgrade new PC and not aware with any latest technology available If any cheap......I would like to work with dual boot system (Win + Linux)......so plz guide some one who have nice experience with any best configuration ???

      thanks in advance !!!
      Naresh Bhalala

      thanks...regards..
      =================
      Naresh K. Bhalala
      B.E.(Comp)
      LINUX Registered User #384494
      Tel:91-22-28284611,Mob:9819144278

    • naresh bhalala

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2005
          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I would like to request you all to guide me for purchasing new PC !!
          > I was having a configuration PIII 933MHz 256MB RAM and 40GB
          > >HDD...configuration !!!
          > Now I would like to purchase/upgrade new PC and not aware with any
          > latest technology >available If any cheap......I would like to work with
          > dual boot system (Win + Linux)......so >plz guide some one who have nice
          > experience with any best configuration ???

          The best PC configuration is the one that suits your needs best with the
          minimum price possible. Plain and simple.

          Regards,
          IraqiGeek
          www.iraqigeek.com
        • Arsenic
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
            Hi Naresh,

            I'd like to just second what IraqiGeek said about this. The best setup
            is the one that works for you.

            Incidentally, I am running a Pentium IV 2.60GHz processor, 512MB of RAM,
            and two 80GB Hard Drives - HDA with Windows XP and HDB with Fedora Core
            4.

            This is the setup that works for me, as I use Windoze for high-end
            gaming and Linux for graphics design. It's not necessarily a setup that
            will work for you however... you might not need so much hard-drive
            space, or so much RAM, or a 2.60GHz processor.

            Like IraqiGeek said... use whatever system works for you.

            arsenic.

            On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 01:43 -0800, naresh bhalala wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > I would like to request you all to guide me for purchasing new
            > PC !!

          • Arsenic
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
              BTW, I neglected to thank the people who kindly helped me get my SWAP
              partition up and running. I've since lost the emails, so I'm not sure
              who replied to my question but you know who you are, so thanx heaps.
              *g*

              arsenic.

            • IraqiGeek
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                > Hi Naresh,
                >
                > I'd like to just second what IraqiGeek said about this. The best setup
                > is the one that works for you.
                >
                > Incidentally, I am running a Pentium IV 2.60GHz processor, 512MB of RAM,
                > and two 80GB Hard Drives - HDA with Windows XP and HDB with Fedora Core
                > 4.
                >
                > This is the setup that works for me, as I use Windoze for high-end
                > gaming and Linux for graphics design. It's not necessarily a setup that
                > will work for you however... you might not need so much hard-drive
                > space, or so much RAM, or a 2.60GHz processor.

                One of the reasons I didnt want to get into this discussion is because any
                PC configuration is totally depandant on your budget, computing needs, and a
                hell lot of brand personal preference. You may like the P4, another person
                likes AMD, and don't get me started on motherboard chipsets and brands.

                If Naresh, or anyone in the group for that matter, wants to buy a new PC,
                the first thing to do should be put a layout of what will they use the
                computer for (office use, programming, design, gaming, and so on), and then
                prioritize what will their needs be in that computer (RAM, storage space,
                processor speed, componenet quality (read brand)) while still maintaining
                that not so easy balance because if you overlook one part in favor of the
                other, that overlooked part will become a bottleneck and make your new shiny
                system operate at snail speed instead of light speed.

                All in all, it can be a mess, depending on your needs, requirements, budget,
                and brand preference.

                This is why brands such as HP, Dell, and the others exist, to make that
                decision for you, and to sell you a ready made PC without dragging you in
                all that headache of having to go through the process of selecting every
                single piece of hardware that goes into that computer.

                Regards,
                IraqiGeek
                www.iraqigeek.com
              • Noctaire
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                  > I would like to request you all to guide me for
                  > purchasing new PC !!
                  > I was having a configuration PIII 933MHz 256MB RAM and
                  > 40GB HDD...configuration !!!
                  > Now I would like to purchase/upgrade new PC and not aware
                  > with any latest technology available If any cheap......I
                  > would like to work with dual boot system (Win +
                  > Linux)......so plz guide some one who have nice experience
                  > with any best configuration ???

                  FWIW, I have to echo what others have said. What to purchase is REALLY up
                  to you. I'd shoot for as much power as you can afford.

                  Much will depend on what you intend to DO with the box as well. For
                  example, if you are a typical user -- word processing, surfing the 'net,
                  reading e-mail -- then pretty much anything from 1 GHz and up will be more
                  than adequate. 256M of RAM is probably the minimum I would recommend,
                  regardless of the application and the same goes with 40G of hard drive.

                  The minimum system I would assemble is around a 1.5GHz box with 512M of RAM
                  and an 80G hard drive. This would be capable of servicing most users. It
                  would operate very well under both Windows XP as well as Linux. I'd also be
                  careful about going to new on the video card; although it would be no
                  problem for Windows, Linux may be a a bit more difficult to get set up on
                  the newer cards.

                  James
                • Arsenic
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                    oh yeah... i definitely second that! on that topic... actually i'll
                    have another go, coz it's been a while since i tried and then i'll
                    post a Q on a different thread.......