Wireless card, Mandriva, ndiswrapper issues.

  • Noctaire
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      Ok, so I've been working with my Mandriva 2006 installation a LOT
      today. I think I have everything done right here but something's
      still missing.

      I have the alias for wlan0 in modprobe.conf. Ndiswrapper -l shows the
      bcmwl5a driver present, and the hardware present. However, modprobe
      ndiswrapper yields, "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found".

      What am I missing?
    • Chad Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
        Noctaire wrote:
        > I have the alias for wlan0 in modprobe.conf. Ndiswrapper -l shows the
        > bcmwl5a driver present, and the hardware present. However, modprobe
        > ndiswrapper yields, "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found".
        >
        > What am I missing?

        When you run modprobe you're trying to load a kernel module into the
        running kernel. If you get the error you list above, modprobe cannot
        find the module you're listing. This usually means that you haven't
        compiled that particular driver into a module (or it hasn't been done
        for you). Your most direct path to fixing this is to recompile your
        kernel, selecting that particular driver as a module during configuration.

        I wrote an email earlier this week that had a brief overview of
        compiling a kernel. Take a look at the archives. You might also want
        to peruse www.tldp.org and/or your distro's documentation about
        compiling a kernel.

        Chad Martin
      • Noctaire
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
          I had REALLY hoped to get this working by using the GUI tools and the
          default installation of the OS. :-(

          Oh well -- back to the CLI, I suppose. I'll grab the latest off sourceforge
          and install it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

          James
        • storm
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
            On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 01:11 -0500, Noctaire wrote:
            > I had REALLY hoped to get this working by using the GUI tools and the
            > default installation of the OS. :-(
            >
            > Oh well -- back to the CLI, I suppose. I'll grab the latest off sourceforge
            > and install it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
            >
            > James

            This is the same thing I posted last month about wireless, perhaps it
            will work for you:

            This is the tutorial I used, and had it set up in about 20 mins.
            http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/284525

            While it's not for your exact wireless card, it IS for Mandrake 10.1
            which is not significantly different than the Mandriva 2005 I suspect
            you're using. ( If it' Mandriva 2006, I'm not sure, cos I haven't had
            time to install it yet.)

            Anywhere it talks about getting the linksys driver, you would substitute
            specific info for your Broadcom chipset. ;)

            HTH
            stormi
          • Noctaire
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
              > This is the same thing I posted last month about wireless, perhaps it
              > will work for you:
              >

              > This is the tutorial I used, and had it set up in about 20 mins.
              > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/284525
              >
              > While it's not for your exact wireless card, it IS for Mandrake
              > 10.1 which is not significantly different than the Mandriva 2005
              > I suspect you're using. ( If it' Mandriva 2006, I'm not sure,
              > cos I haven't had time to install it yet.)

              Thanks for the link. In the end, I really think this has something to do
              with the ndiswrapper so that's definitely the route I'll be going.

              I'll purbably be doing this whilst I watch the game today. :) Bengals 'n
              Steelers -- go Bengals! <Grin>

              James
            • Noctaire
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                Well, I'm getting closer.

                I uninstalled the ndiswrapper that comes with Mandriva 2006, installed
                the kernel sources, then installed ndiswrapper v1.6 which I downloaded
                from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net.

                With that done, I did an ndiswrapper -l bcmwl5a.inf, ndiswrapper -m,
                and restarted -- no love.

                I ran modprobe ndiswrapper and that brought some change -- the light
                on the wireless button came on. I ran ifconfig and wlan0 looks pretty
                good -- it pulled an IP and all.

                Problem is, it isn't routing.

                I tried pinging the gateway and all I get back is:

                From 192.168.1.10 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

                I went in and set the IP for the interface manually -- same result.

                James
              • Chad Martin
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                  Noctaire wrote:
                  > Problem is, it isn't routing.
                  >
                  > I tried pinging the gateway and all I get back is:
                  >
                  >>From 192.168.1.10 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
                  >
                  > I went in and set the IP for the interface manually -- same result.

                  Hmm. Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and your IP address (192.168.1.10)?

                  If one of those fails, that narrows our scope of possible problems.

                  Chad Martin
                • Noctaire
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2005
                    >> Problem is, it isn't routing.
                    >>
                    >> I tried pinging the gateway and all I get back is:
                    >>
                    >>From 192.168.1.10 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
                    >>
                    >> I went in and set the IP for the interface manually -- same result.
                    >
                    > Hmm. Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and your IP address (192.168.1.10)?
                    >
                    > If one of those fails, that narrows our scope of possible problems.

                    Sorry, Chad -- I thought I put that in there. It was able to ping itself
                    just fine and pulled the IP just fine; it would not route.

                    After beating on it for hours and hours and hours, I dropped back to Windows
                    for a bit to do some work then booted back into my Mandriva partition. X
                    was trashed -- it wouldn't come up for nothin'. So I swacked the partitions
                    and reinstalled. This time around everything worked for me -- I used the
                    ndiswrapper up at ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net. There's something screwy
                    about the one that comes with Mandriva. Everything appears to be working
                    fine now (knock on wood).

                    James