Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mandrake 10.2 install

  • Chad Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
      Daniel Richard wrote:
      > I have a 1.8Ghz PC that is currently running WinXP SP2. My old PC,
      > which had Mandrake 10.2 loaded and running crashed so I took the hard
      > drive out and put it in the other PC. The Bios recognizes the drive
      > but I can't get Linux to run.
      >
      > I re-installed everything, including repartitioning the drive, so I
      > get the LILO screen and can select Linux as the OS. It goes through
      > some of the start-up routines, but always freezes at the same point:
      >
      > apm: Bios version 1.2 flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
      >
      > I tried re-installing everything; I thought this might be a power
      > management setting in the bios so tweaked settings there. Nothing
      > seems to get past this problem. It still boots into Windows (so my
      > wife is happy- this is her PC), but I was working on some things with
      > Linux and would like to get it up and running again.

      Hm. That PC is too new to be running APM. I can guarantee it's running
      ACPI. I'm not sure if Mandrake has a way to specify power management
      options during the install, but you may want to try turning off all of
      it, or disabling APM.

      The other option is to boot into a Live CD like Knoppix and try to futz
      with things from there. You may have to recompile the kernel from a
      chroot environment to get APM off.

      This is all, of course, based on the assumption that APM is the problem.

      Best of luck,
      Chad Martin