Re: [LINUX_Newbies] can not detect eth0 onboard

  • Norm Higgs
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hmmm....I was going to try to install this, but my linux partition
      won't boot up! It gets to 'mounting local filesystem', then the screen
      goes black for a second and it stops booting. Its never done that
      before....

      Anyone got any suggestions?

      Norm
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
        Adhi Widyarthana wrote:
        > i have a problem, my onboard eth0 can not detected, i am using LINUX Suse
        > 9.1
        > NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

        FYI, this is supported by the forcedeth module. I don't know if this is
        in the 2.4 series of kernels, but I know it's in the 2.6 series.

        Chad Martin
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
          Felix Gomez wrote:
          > I downloaded a j2sdk1.4.2_09 and install it in my
          > redhat9 i made a very simple java program and save it
          > in the /usr/java/j2sdk.../bin then i run java
          > hello.java but an error occured: BASH: Java command
          > not found.

          It's probably not in your PATH. Try this:

          echo $PATH

          or this

          which java

          If the java bin directory is not in there, then you will not be able to run

          java hello.java

          anywhere, even in the bin directory. If you wish to run any executable
          that isn't in your PATH, you have to specify the path to the executable.
          In your case, if you saved hello.java to java's bin directory, then you
          could probably run it with

          ./java hello.java

          because the ./ points to the current directory.

          > I tried chmod 777 java then run the java hello.java
          > again but the same error.
          >
          > I tried also chmod 777 javac then run javac hello.java
          > but the same error.
          >
          > I tried also chmod 755 on both files but the same
          > error.

          That is seldom, if ever, the problem. Looking at a long listing of
          these files will probably show that they're executable to everybody. Run

          ls -l java javac

          In there you will find a block of letters and dashes. If the last
          letter is an x, then anybody can execute it.

          > I even tried my mandrake 10.1 community but the same
          > error still.
          >
          > I dont know where I have the error. My friend says,
          > its in my bash. Is it?

          Very, very doubtful. BASH is pretty solid.

          Chad Martin
        • Chad Martin
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
            Norm Higgs wrote:
            > Hmmm....I was going to try to install this, but my linux partition
            > won't boot up! It gets to 'mounting local filesystem', then the screen
            > goes black for a second and it stops booting. Its never done that
            > before....
            >
            > Anyone got any suggestions?

            Ew. Try booting to a rescue CD or Knoppix and running an fsck on the
            filesystems. See if there's any corruption there.

            Chad Martin