Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing apps from other distro disks.

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
      --- Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

      • Sunil Kulkarni
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
          Hi friends!

          I work with molecular modelling softwares that run on Linux. I have Suse Linux 9.2. Today morning when I started my PC I was faced with this problem:

          “When I log in as USER the desktop & icons are not appearing. Only the welcome screen (showing “welcome” written in different languages) appears. Mouse cursor is active. I tried restarting the machine 3-4 times but it comes to the same situation. However, if I log in as ROOT there is no problem. Since I run the softwares as USER so I am stuck.”

          Can anyone help me with this? I am very new to the Linux environment.

          Regards,

          Sunil

        • Sunil Kulkarni
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
            Hi!
            I got going by creating a new user. The problem I am facing was (and is still there with the earlier user) "KNotify crashed" message which said someting about "Arts::Dispatcher- do you want to try again or disable arts sound output" whenever I logged in." And the PC just hangs after that.

            Regards,

            Sunil

            Sunil Kulkarni <sunilkul2004@...> wrote:Hi friends!

            I work with molecular modelling softwares that run on Linux. I have Suse Linux 9.2. Today morning when I started my PC I was faced with this problem:

            “When I log in as USER the desktop & icons are not appearing. Only the welcome screen (showing “welcome” written in different languages) appears. Mouse cursor is active. I tried restarting the machine 3-4 times but it comes to the same situation. However, if I log in as ROOT there is no problem. Since I run the softwares as USER so I am stuck.”

            Can anyone help me with this? I am very new to the Linux environment.

            Regards,

            Sunil

            Linux operating system Unix operating system Linux software