Portable MP3s and Linux

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
      I am thinking of getting a portable MP3 player, like a Rio/iPod/etc. I
      was wondering if there is anyone in the group who has successfully
      used their Linux box with a commercial MP3 player?

      What are some of the hurdles I can expect with connecting to one and
      getting the most out of my investment?

      Thanks in advance.
      -Rob-
    • storm
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        Rob wrote:

        >I am thinking of getting a portable MP3 player, like a Rio/iPod/etc. I
        >was wondering if there is anyone in the group who has successfully
        >used their Linux box with a commercial MP3 player?
        >
        >What are some of the hurdles I can expect with connecting to one and
        >getting the most out of my investment?
        >
        >Thanks in advance.
        >-Rob-

        Hi Rob,

        I have an iRiver iFP-790 (http://www.iriveramerica.com/) and there is a
        driver on sourceforge (http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/) for
        transferring files. I haven't had a chance yet to install and test it.
        I run several dual-boot machines, so often have one in the "evil OS" ;)
        but am hoping to make a full migration in the near future, and will
        install and test it then.

        HTH
        stormi
      • Horror Vacui
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:56:42 -0000
          Rob wrote:

          > I am thinking of getting a portable MP3 player, like a Rio/iPod/etc. I
          >
          > was wondering if there is anyone in the group who has successfully
          > used their Linux box with a commercial MP3 player?
          >
          > What are some of the hurdles I can expect with connecting to one and
          > getting the most out of my investment?

          None. All players I know of are simply USB mass storage devices.
          Provided this kind of device works on your machine, you can put or
          retreive data from it as you would with any other removeable media.

          I don't know if any vendor supplies additional software with their
          players, if they do, they can hardly be anything but crappy, bloated and
          useless programs. You don't need them, not for Linux, not for other
          OS's.

          Cheers

          --
          Horror Vacui