Looking for Linux equivalent program...

  • mbotwinrvc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
      ..to a Windows bit of freeware that I use. It's called "Magic Mail
      Monitor", which is a POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3) compliant
      email notifier. It supports multiple email accounts and each mailbox
      can be configured independently to notify you of new mail.

      Here's the project page on sourceforge, which will probably give a
      better idea of what I'm looking for than I'm capable of describing.

      Thanks for any help.
    • Horror Vacui
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
        On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:34:35 -0000
        mbotwinrvc wrote:

        > ..to a Windows bit of freeware that I use. It's called "Magic Mail
        > Monitor", which is a POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3) compliant
        > email notifier. It supports multiple email accounts and each mailbox
        > can be configured independently to notify you of new mail.

        There certainly must be hundreds of such programs for GNU/Linux. I used
        to use gkrellm mail notification, but with all the spam steadily
        trickling in, this tool soon became completely useless.

        I know there is a whole bunch of Windowmaker dock applications for this
        purpose, with varying level of complexity and features, and I'm sure
        there are several for KDE or Gnome. Also, take a look at gdesklets
        (which is a framework for sleek-looking apps on your desktop), which
        certainly also has plugins of this type.

        Try googling for something like: "mail notification" kde gnome
        windowmaker

        > Here's the project page on sourceforge, which will probably give a
        > better idea of what I'm looking for than I'm capable of describing.

        Page? What page? ;)

        Cheers

        --
        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.
      • Robert C Wittig
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
          Hello Horror,

          Saturday, July 2, 2005, 6:41:09 AM, you wrote:

          >> Here's the project page on sourceforge, which will probably give a
          >> better idea of what I'm looking for than I'm capable of describing.

          HV> Page? What page? ;)

          I wondered about that too.

          The page is: http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

          The project is Open Source, C++, and needs to be ported to *nix.

          -wittig
          website: http://www.robertwittig.com/
          weblog: http://robertcwittig.blogspot.com/
          .
        • mbotwinrvc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
            Yeah, that's the page...sorry about that. <sheepish embarassment>