Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Sata Drives

  • Chad Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2005
      James Jolin wrote:

      >> Does anyone know what distro(s) support stata drives and pci expess?
      >> Want to run linux on my Dell 8400.

      Hardware support is in the kernel, not specific to any particular
      distro. Try anything with a 2.6 kernel. It should work.

      Chad Martin
    • Joan Leach
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2005
        --- Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote:
        > James Jolin wrote:
        >
        > >> Does anyone know what distro(s) support stata
        > drives and pci expess?
        > >> Want to run linux on my Dell 8400.
        >

        > Hardware support is in the kernel, not specific to
        > any particular
        > distro. Try anything with a 2.6 kernel. It should
        > work.
        >
        > Chad Martin

        Hi,

        Why not do a Google Linux, or is it Linux Google for:
        "What distro for Dell 8400?" You'll get plenty of
        ideas. Remember you're not alone. If there's a
        particular distro you want to run let someone on their
        forums know.

        Good-luck,
        Joanie
      • Felix Gomez
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          Hello everyone,

          I like to write an article like 10 Reasons why you
          choose Linux over Windoz?

          Credit goes to where credit should go. :)

          Can anyone contribute something?

          Thanks a lot!

          Sincerely yours,

          Engr. Felix T. Gomez, Jr., MST-CS
          Dean of College
          STI College Tacloban
          #355 Singzon Bldg.
          Real St., Tacloban City 06500
          Telefax # (053)325-6570

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James Jolin
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            Chad Martin wrote:

            > James Jolin wrote:
            >
            > >> Does anyone know what distro(s) support stata drives and pci expess?
            > >> Want to run linux on my Dell 8400.
            >

            > Hardware support is in the kernel, not specific to any particular
            > distro. Try anything with a 2.6 kernel. It should work.
            >
            > Chad Martin

            chad,
            Here is what I got from suse:

            This does not directly reference HDs, but might offer some insight to
            SATA. This
            is an extract from the 9.3 Release_notes.

            SATA CD and DVD Devices (ROMs and Writers)
            The Linux kernel driver support for these devices is experimental.
            To activate CD-ROM SATA support on the desktop remove these lines in
            /usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi:
            <!-- temporary disable polling on SATA devices to avoid a kernel crash -->
            <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>

            Too bad I don't grasp what they are talking about. Suse does have the
            2.6 kernal, however. You would think that these people would know what
            is supported and what is not. I may try the live cd and see what happens.
            Jim
          • Robert C Wittig
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Felix Gomez wrote:

              > I like to write an article like 10 Reasons why you
              > choose Linux over Windoz?

              1) Price.
              2) More control.
              3) Open Source.
              4) Clueful Community.
              5) No Fake-Ass Ads on TV, lying to me.
              6) I like Tux...Way Cool.
              7) *nix tools appeal to me.
              8) In like actually knowing *why* things work, not just which graphical
              menus to pull down and click on.
              9) I enjoy RTFMing.
              10) No activation codes, no snooping my box and informing Bill Gates and
              company, the contents of my drives, etc., etc., etc.

              --
              -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
              .
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                1) stability ( took 6 months of working on crashing
                it, back in 98, to crash the box )

                2) security ( never gotten infected with spyware,
                adware, or virus in my time using linux )

                3) choices!! ( you can choose from over a dozen guis
                to use, or just work in konsole, you have at least 3
                web browsers, for console alone, multiple konsole
                email clients, news readers, cd players. )

                4) control
                you have complete control over what is running on your
                system.

                5) price

                6) software costs

                7) speed of patches when needed

                8) it doesn't insult your intelligence, by saying you
                are to stupid to know anything about how your system
                works. ( both windows and mac os do that )

                9) true multitasking, which windows has barely gotten
                with hex-pee.

                10) it ain't a legacy os, after all if windows was
                worth using it wouldn't be given away with new pcs.

                Jaqui

              • Gaurav Shah
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                  Hey,
                  some more points from my practical experience,

                  - I am sysadmin. I luv linux coz it provides you total
                  control on the system and its very secure and stable.
                  In my company, 90% computers run on linux and believe
                  me I spend more time on troubleshooting the
                  propriatory Oses than on linux boxes.

                  - Linux is great for remote administration. We have
                  offices in 3 countries and all the system are being
                  administored from India where i am working. It saves a
                  lots of money to administor it from India and linux
                  has all the tools that u need for remote
                  administration. I can do some really high funda things
                  on the machines in the other countries sitting on my
                  comp in India.

                  Hope u find it useful.

                  Do mail me the final draft when u finish.

                  Thanks & Regards,

                  --- Robert C Wittig <wittig@...> wrote:
                  ---------------------------------

                  Felix Gomez wrote:

                  > I like to write an article like 10 Reasons why you
                  > choose Linux over Windoz?

                  1) Price.
                  2) More control.
                  3) Open Source.
                  4) Clueful Community.
                  5) No Fake-Ass Ads on TV, lying to me.
                  6) I like Tux...Way Cool.
                  7) *nix tools appeal to me.
                  8) In like actually knowing *why* things work, not
                  just which graphical
                  menus to pull down and click on.
                  9) I enjoy RTFMing.
                  10) No activation codes, no snooping my box and
                  informing Bill Gates and
                  company, the contents of my drives, etc., etc., etc.

                  --
                  -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
                  .

                  be removed.

                  Terms of Service.

                  Gaurav Shah
                  Systems & Network Administrator
                  Partecs Participatory Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
                  Pune, India
                  www.partecs.com

                  Life is not counted by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away !

                • Harold Heckuba
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                    --- Felix Gomez <felixtgomezjr@...> wrote:
                    > Hello everyone,
                    >
                    > I like to write an article like 10 Reasons why you
                    > choose Linux over Windoz?
                    >

                    > Engr. Felix T. Gomez, Jr., MST-CS
                    > Dean of College
                    > STI College Tacloban
                    > #355 Singzon Bldg.
                    > Real St., Tacloban City 06500
                    > Telefax # (053)325-6570

                    1.Stability
                    2.Security
                    3.No I.E.
                    4.Open code means better code
                    5.Do not want to be tied to MS and their whims
                    6.community willing to step in and help
                    7.lots of software available
                    8.Everything you want to do s heavily documented
                    9.price
                    10.Chicks dig the penguin

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Crockett, Jeff
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                      --- Felix Gomez <felixtgomezjr@...> wrote:
                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > I like to write an article like 10 Reasons why you
                      > choose Linux over Windoz?
                      >

                      > Engr. Felix T. Gomez, Jr., MST-CS
                      > Dean of College
                      > STI College Tacloban
                      > #355 Singzon Bldg.
                      > Real St., Tacloban City 06500
                      > Telefax # (053)325-6570

                      1.Stability
                      2.Security
                      3.No I.E.
                      4.Open code means better code
                      5.Do not want to be tied to MS and their whims
                      6.community willing to step in and help
                      7.lots of software available
                      8.Everything you want to do s heavily documented
                      9.price
                      10.Chicks dig the penguin

                      I gotta agree with number 10.
                    • Chad Martin
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                        James Jolin wrote:

                        >>Hardware support is in the kernel, not specific to any particular
                        >>distro. Try anything with a 2.6 kernel. It should work.
                        >
                        > chad,
                        > Here is what I got from suse:
                        >
                        > This does not directly reference HDs, but might offer some insight to
                        > SATA. This
                        > is an extract from the 9.3 Release_notes.
                        >
                        > SATA CD and DVD Devices (ROMs and Writers)
                        > The Linux kernel driver support for these devices is experimental.
                        > To activate CD-ROM SATA support on the desktop remove these lines in
                        > /usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi:
                        > <!-- temporary disable polling on SATA devices to avoid a kernel crash -->
                        > <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>

                        Well, /usr/share has nothing to do with the kernel. This is some SuSE
                        software that deals with SATA support. Furthermore, if they don't
                        mention HDs, there's a good chance that they will work with less effort.

                        > Too bad I don't grasp what they are talking about. Suse does have the
                        > 2.6 kernal, however. You would think that these people would know what
                        > is supported and what is not. I may try the live cd and see what happens.

                        All I can tell you is that I have a SATA RAID 1 running on my webserver,
                        and it's running a 2.6 kernel in Gentoo. I'm not sure how much more I
                        can tell you without more specific information.

                        Chad Martin