Re: [LINUX_Newbies] My mouse and keyboard will not work - SERIAL MOUSE

  • Bing Whiteway
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2005
      Felix Gomez wrote:

      >Hello people,
      >
      >Please help me still. My keyboard and mouse has no
      >problem (hardware side) because I can still use them
      >if I choose to boot in windows (I am in a dual boot).
      >
      >The interactive start up of linux does not also pose
      >any problem because I can continue until the log in
      >interface.
      >
      >During the log in interface, I can not anymore use my
      >mouse and keyboard because they are stuck!
      >
      >Again the problem starts when I changed the settings
      >of my mouse from 2 button to 3 button.
      >
      >My mouse is really a 3 button serial. In my original
      >setting, it is 2 button thats why I can not use my
      >middle (3rd) button. So what I did was change it to 3
      >button setting using the mouse properties just like
      >CONTROL PANEL in windows.
      >
      >Is there a thing like SAFE MODE in Red Hat Linux? or
      >SYSTEM RESTORE? or COMMAND PROMPT ONLY?
      >
      >I have another computer that has the same specs (CPU,
      >Mouse and Keyboard) and my 3 button mouse works
      >smoothly on that machine.
      >
      >Please help me configure my mouse back and run my
      >machine smoothly.
      >

      >Engr. Felix T. Gomez, Jr., MST-CS
      >Dean of College
      >STI College Tacloban
      >#355 Singzon Bldg.
      >Real St., Tacloban City 06500
      >Telefax # (053)325-6570

      I don't run Redhat anymore but I think I remember something like:
      setup
      I think I had to login as root to run it.
      Maybe I did Ctrl Alt F5 then logged in as root to be able to run setup.
      If I remember correctly I was then able to set the mouse and more.
      I don't remember about the keyboard.
      What I do in Slackware which I use; is to login as root and then run either:
      xorgconfig
      or
      xf86config.
      It depends on which Xwindows server you have in use.

      Leo (Bing) Whiteway in Kelowna, BC, Canada: Ham calls: VE7UW and VE7OKV
      A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
      < running Slackware 10.1 Linux >