MIME types under gnome?

  • Wildemar Wildenburger
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10 9:12 AM
      Hey folks

      Ok, so I'm setting up my machine and want to associate filetypes with
      certain applications ...

      And I always thought there'd be a tool for this under gnome. And didnt
      there used to be a control center, pretty much like the kde one? Seems
      to be gone.
      Its even mentioned in the documentation on gnome.org. File types and
      Programs preferences or so. But I havent been able to locate any
      corresponding executable.

      I run gnome 2.6.10 on a kanotix 2005-1 system (which means debian).

      Hoping for some ideas.
      bye
      Wildemar
    • Dedy Kurniawan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15 7:46 PM
        maybe you could try right click on the file and choose the 'open with'
        tab and add appropriate apps for it. And choose the default one
        --
        ~dedyKurniawan
      • Wildemar Wildenburger
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16 9:03 AM
          Dedy Kurniawan schrieb:
          > maybe you could try right click on the file and choose the 'open with'
          > tab and add appropriate apps for it. And choose the default one

          Yeah, but it doesnt let me set a default application at all. I can only
          add stuff to the context menu which isnt all that convenient (in the
          same time I might have typed the command to the cmd-line).

          Under the 'properties' tab in nautilus I can choose one of these said
          programms to be marked with a dot, which I had presumed to make it the
          default one, but that didnt do a thing.

          Also, in that course there is no appearent way to change the file
          description.For example, freemind (*.mm) files are labeled "Troff MM
          Input Document". So there is that mime database. And I know where, but I
          really see no fun in editing the textfiles by hand.

          And again: There *must* be this controlcenter applet; its just not
          present on my machine, for whatever reason.

          Any debian user running gnome on the list? There must be.

          K, nough of my rambling :)
          bye
          wildemar