Un-Installing Software question

  • Lloyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2005
      Dumb question, but when you compile a program like Ndiswrapper and
      install it, how do you un-install it?

      I have looked in all of the information that I have. I can find lots
      of information about installing programs, but the only information
      that I can find about un-installing programs deals with "rpm -e", or
      they are un-installed with Package Managent programs.

      I'm running Fedora Core 3.

      I have the same problem with kernels. They don't seem to un-install
      with "rpm -e" or the package management programs. Yes, I know that if
      I install a kernel using "rpm -Uvh", it will update and remove
      previous kernels, or software. But the normal Red Hat installer leaves
      the previous kernels there when it installs a new kernel. How do you
      simply un-install them?

      I had Ndiwrapper installed and working fine with a D-Link G630 WiFi
      card. (I hook into the internet all over the country using DHCP.) Then
      I updated the kernel with "rpm -Uvh". Since Ndiwrapper is
      Kernel-Specific, there went Ndiswrapper. From there, I think that I
      ended up with Ndiswrapper installed twice and not working at all now.
      I tried to install the drivers for the pcmica card and I got a message
      that they were already installed. I tried to un-install them and I got
      a message that they were not installed. I was also seeing messages
      about ndiswrapper(2). Since I seem to be have the same problem with
      two items, I thought that I would ask about this here.

      I've pretty much decided to re-format and re-install FC3. But I don't
      want to run into the problem again.

      Lloyd
    • Michael Kjorling
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
        On 2005-02-08 07:58 -0000, wyoming_antelope@... wrote:
        > Dumb question, but when you compile a program like Ndiswrapper and
        > install it, how do you un-install it?

        Some applications provide a `make uninstall' target that will delete
        the files that were installed by `make install'. Of course this would
        probably depend on you being able to reproduce the build, which
        generally means (short of having the compiled build around)
        reconfiguring it with the same set of parameters to configure as when
        you installed it.

        Failing the `make uninstall' approach, one other option is to
        reinstall the application under a clean prefix, say, /tmp/ndiswrapper.
        Then go through it and delete whatever files were put there from the
        production tree (often /usr/local).

        In either case, be careful to not delete something that is needed by
        another application. Moving it out of the way and letting it sit there
        for a while may not be a bad idea.

        --
        Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
        * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
          Lloyd Hayes wrote:
          > I have looked in all of the information that I have. I can find lots
          > of information about installing programs, but the only information
          > that I can find about un-installing programs deals with "rpm -e", or
          > they are un-installed with Package Managent programs.
          >
          > I'm running Fedora Core 3.
          >
          > I have the same problem with kernels. They don't seem to un-install
          > with "rpm -e" or the package management programs. Yes, I know that if
          > I install a kernel using "rpm -Uvh", it will update and remove
          > previous kernels, or software. But the normal Red Hat installer leaves
          > the previous kernels there when it installs a new kernel. How do you
          > simply un-install them?

          rpm -e will only uninstall programs installed with rpm. If you compiled
          and installed software directly (using make), then you should reference
          Michael's post.

          Chad Martin
        • Lloyd Hayes
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
            Chad Martin wrote:

            >Lloyd Hayes wrote:
            >

            >>I have looked in all of the information that I have. I can find lots
            >>of information about installing programs, but the only information
            >>that I can find about un-installing programs deals with "rpm -e", or
            >>they are un-installed with Package Managent programs.
            >>
            >>I'm running Fedora Core 3.
            >>
            >>I have the same problem with kernels. They don't seem to un-install
            >>with "rpm -e" or the package management programs. Yes, I know that if
            >>I install a kernel using "rpm -Uvh", it will update and remove
            >>previous kernels, or software. But the normal Red Hat installer leaves
            >>the previous kernels there when it installs a new kernel. How do you
            >>simply un-install them?
            >>

            >rpm -e will only uninstall programs installed with rpm. If you compiled
            >and installed software directly (using make), then you should reference
            >Michael's post.
            >
            >Chad Martin

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Thanks for the useless reply....

            --

            Lloyd Hayes

            Email: lloyd545220-trucker@...
            E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
            Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/

          • Lloyd Hayes
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
              Michael Kjorling wrote:

              >On 2005-02-08 07:58 -0000, wyoming_antelope@... wrote:
              >

              >>Dumb question, but when you compile a program like Ndiswrapper and
              >>install it, how do you un-install it?
              >>

              >Some applications provide a `make uninstall' target that will delete
              >the files that were installed by `make install'. Of course this would
              >probably depend on you being able to reproduce the build, which
              >generally means (short of having the compiled build around)
              >reconfiguring it with the same set of parameters to configure as when
              >you installed it.
              >
              >Failing the `make uninstall' approach, one other option is to
              >reinstall the application under a clean prefix, say, /tmp/ndiswrapper.
              >Then go through it and delete whatever files were put there from the
              >production tree (often /usr/local).
              >
              >In either case, be careful to not delete something that is needed by
              >another application. Moving it out of the way and letting it sit there
              >for a while may not be a bad idea.

              Thanks.

              I had tried "ndiswrapper -uninstall"

              I don't have the directions in front of me, but the directions referred
              to uninstalling it, then re-installing the software with the new kernel.
              It did not explain how, but the directions made a reference to
              "distclean", which I used. I later noticed ndiswrapper(2) when I used
              "make install". While several of the web blogs attempt to answer
              questions Ndiswrapper, it appears that programmers are not interested,
              which is frustrating.

              Anyway, I've gotten messages that the drivers are installed and not
              installed, depending on what I am trying to do. Whatever I am trying to
              do related to ndiswrapper, I get messages that it can not be done.

              2nd part of the question.
              How do you un-install older kernels after the new ones are installed?

              Thanks for a "Real" reply.
              I got one from someone else who was simply wasting everyone's time.

              --

              Lloyd Hayes

              Email: lloyd545220-trucker@...
              E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
              Web Journal: http://lloyd_hayes.bravejournal.com/

            • Martin
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2005
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Hayes
                <wyoming_antelope@y...> wrote:

                > Thanks for a "Real" reply.
                > I got one from someone else who was simply wasting everyone's time.
                >
                > --
                >
                > Lloyd Hayes

                That's a wonderful way to get no replies at all.

                The answer is on the web. You should google it instead of wasting
                everyone's time.

                Martin
              • Horror Vacui
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2005
                  On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:38:37 -0000
                  Martin wrote:

                  > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Hayes
                  > <wyoming_antelope@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for a "Real" reply.
                  > > I got one from someone else who was simply wasting everyone's time.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > >
                  > > Lloyd Hayes
                  > >

                  > That's a wonderful way to get no replies at all.

                  Exactly. As for myself, I'll think twice before answering another
                  question from the OP. My lowly answers (which at best are as good as
                  Chad's) probably won't satisfy his excellence's high standards, I fear.

                  Though I think I might venture an RTFM occasionally...

                  Cheers

                  --
                  Horror Vacui

                  Registered Linux user #257714