Re: Dell Inspiron 5150 and Distro?

  • Bill M.
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
      Chad,

      From: Chad Martin <chad@...>
      Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 5150 and Distro?

      Bill M. wrote:

      >>> Any thoughts from the list on good distros for laptop? Any experience
      >>> with distros that seem to be best for laptops? Thanks in advance for any
      >>> and all help/suggestions.
      >

      > I've personally gotten a laptop running swimmingly with Gentoo. Their
      > forums and documentation are excellent, though the install is a little
      > more hands-on than the average distro. This is with video, wireless,
      > wired LAN, ACPI, CD burning, DVD playing, audio, etc. Also, it's easy
      > to tweak Gentoo for speed, so you'll be able to sweak every bit of
      > performance out of your hardware while still having a stable machine.
      >
      > Chad Martin

      Thanks so much for the response. I had not even considered Gentoo,
      though the local Tucson Linux group (http://www.tfug.org) has quite a
      few folks who think highly of Gentoo. I'll pay them a visit and give it
      some real consideration.

      -*-Bill
    • Horror Vacui
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
        On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:45:36 -0700
        Bill wrote:

        > Chad,
        >
        > > Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:21:59 -0600
        > From: Chad Martin <chad@...>
        > Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 5150 and Distro?

        > >experience>> with distros that seem to be best for laptops? Thanks in
        > >advance for any>> and all help/suggestions.
        > >

        > > I've personally gotten a laptop running swimmingly with Gentoo.
        > > Their forums and documentation are excellent, though the install is
        > > a little more hands-on than the average distro. This is with video,
        > > wireless, wired LAN, ACPI, CD burning, DVD playing, audio, etc.
        > > Also, it's easy to tweak Gentoo for speed, so you'll be able to
        > > sweak every bit of performance out of your hardware while still
        > > having a stable machine.
        > >
        > > Chad Martin
        >
        > Thanks so much for the response. I had not even considered Gentoo,
        > though the local Tucson Linux group (http://www.tfug.org) has quite a
        > few folks who think highly of Gentoo. I'll pay them a visit and give
        > it some real consideration.

        Be warned though, gentoo is not the newbie's playground. There's a good
        installation howto, if you RTFM very carefully and follow it with
        understanding, you will probably succeed in installing it, though
        newbie. But most of the problems require knowledge of the more insidious
        details of Linux, so be sure to have someone qualified to jump in should
        need arise.

        Cheers

        --
        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.
      • storm
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
          On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 18:16 -0700, Bill M. wrote:
          > Subject says a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop, new as of August 2004. Has
          > Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video w/32 Mb video RAM, running Windows XP
          > Home on NTFS with 32 Gb available.
          >
          > I've previously run Mandrake 8.1, 8.2, Su8.2 Pro (boxed edition) on an
          > older laptop now dead -- no dual-boot. I was fairly happy with SuSE 8.2.
          > I'd like to make this laptop dual-boot and am considering SuSE 9.2 Pro
          > (download edition) or maybe Ubuntu (Live CD works great with the "NV"
          > video driver option.) I run Debian Sarge on another machine and have
          > always had no great luck getting X to run in Debian -- video driver
          > problems usually.
          >
          > The biggest things I am concerned about is the Nvidia driver and the
          > Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 802.11g card (none of the live CDs I've tried
          > ever found it, configured it, enabled it.) Of course, power management
          > and standard, modern laptop options. Another concern is avoiding bloat
          > -- I want the option to load lightweight desktops if I so desire. I'm
          > fairly certain that I'll be setting up a FAT32 partition to share data
          > (read & write support) between Windows XP and the whatever Linux distro
          > I install.
          >
          > Any thoughts from the list on good distros for laptop? Any experience
          > with distros that seem to be best for laptops? Thanks in advance for any
          > and all help/suggestions.
          >
          > -*-Bill

          I currently am running MDK 10.1 ( DVD version) dual booting with XP home
          on NTFS. It's a fresh install since the harddrive just bailed out and I
          had to replace it. (Noisiest failure I've ever heard!) It knew that my
          laptop was a toshiba, and enabled the toshiba controls and the acpi
          stuff so all my devices would work. it found and configured my firewire
          port and the nvidia driver works fine as long as you install the kernel
          source first if you're going to download the nvidia driver from nvidia's
          site. If you do an "expert" install, you can pick blackbox, WM, or any
          number of desktops. ( Hit "F1" instead of enter when starting the
          install for the expert option.) I haven't tried the wireless card yet,
          but I'm sure it won't be a big issue.

          HTH
          stormi
        • Bill M.
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
            Stormi,

            Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:13:37 -0700
            From: storm <storm@...>

            >>>On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 18:16 -0700, Bill M. wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Any thoughts from the list on good distros for laptop? Any experience
            >>> with distros that seem to be best for laptops? Thanks in advance for any
            >>> and all help/suggestions.
            >>>
            >>> -*-Bill
            >

            > I currently am running MDK 10.1 ( DVD version) dual booting with XP home
            > on NTFS. It's a fresh install since the harddrive just bailed out and I
            > had to replace it. (Noisiest failure I've ever heard!) It knew that my
            > laptop was a toshiba, and enabled the toshiba controls and the acpi
            > stuff so all my devices would work. it found and configured my firewire
            > port and the nvidia driver works fine as long as you install the kernel
            > source first if you're going to download the nvidia driver from nvidia's
            > site. If you do an "expert" install, you can pick blackbox, WM, or any
            > number of desktops. ( Hit "F1" instead of enter when starting the
            > install for the expert option.) I haven't tried the wireless card yet,
            > but I'm sure it won't be a big issue.
            >
            > HTH
            > stormi

            Thanks so much for the great overview of your dual-boot set up. Like I
            mentioned in my original post, I used Mandrake quite a bit -- it was my
            introduction to Linux (ver. 7.3), and was fairly satisfied with it,
            slightly annoyed with MDK's differences of tool locations, minor
            inconsistencies with other distro, but man... MDK's hardware recognition
            and configuration tools were always top-notch! I have a magazine cover
            DVD version of the "community" release -- may have to explore that.

            The wireless card is a biggie, but should be attainable with NDIS
            Wrapper or the commercial version (forget its' name...)

            Again, thanks for the great feedback!

            -*-Bill
          • storm
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2005
              On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 22:05 -0700, Bill M. wrote:
              > Stormi,
              >
              > Thanks so much for the great overview of your dual-boot set up. Like I
              > mentioned in my original post, I used Mandrake quite a bit -- it was my
              > introduction to Linux (ver. 7.3), and was fairly satisfied with it,
              > slightly annoyed with MDK's differences of tool locations, minor
              > inconsistencies with other distro, but man... MDK's hardware recognition
              > and configuration tools were always top-notch! I have a magazine cover
              > DVD version of the "community" release -- may have to explore that.
              >
              > The wireless card is a biggie, but should be attainable with NDIS
              > Wrapper or the commercial version (forget its' name...)
              >
              > Again, thanks for the great feedback!
              >
              > -*-Bill

              Any time! I'm glad you found it helpful. That's what I lurk here
              for. ;) I started with Mandrake, and have never changed. ( Of course
              9.2 almost made me change) The only thing I'm really not fond of is the
              recent loss of linuxconf. I guess I became dependant on it. No matter,
              I just download the rpms from rpmfind.net and install it myself. I had
              the 10.0 community release on my laptop until the harddrive crashed, and
              didn't have too many problems with it. A couple of bugs in Evo drove me
              around the bend, but they're fixed in 10.1. Some people in my local LUG
              have successfully upgraded their 10 community to 10.1 official by
              changing their URPMI sources as well.

              Which wireless card is it? I know there's fairly good 3rd party support
              for most of them out there, I just haven't gotten around to it,...
              perhaps this weekend. I have a linksys WPC11 ver4 card, which maybe a
              Prism2 card, if memory serves ( I'm sure someone will correctly if my
              memory is faulty ;) ), and they have some decent support.

              stormi
            • Bill M.
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
                Stormi,

                Thanks again for your response and feedback.

                > Some people in my local LUG
                > have successfully upgraded their 10 community to 10.1 official by
                > changing their URPMI sources as well.

                Is the APT tool available as well? Synaptic is the non-Debian version, I
                believe? I've used the console version of urpmi (is there another, a GUI
                perhaps?) but would be interested in finding out about apt-get.

                > Which wireless card is it? I know there's fairly good 3rd party support
                > for most of them out there, I just haven't gotten around to it,...

                I have a Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 mini-PCI card. Works great in Win XP --
                switches between profiles, no problem. I used a console tool on my old,
                now dead E-Machines laptop running SuSE 8.2 -- the switching was a
                little funky sometimes, would usually have to reboot the laptop to go
                back to wired connection after being wireless. No biggie, just not very
                elegant!

                > stormi

                Thanks again,
                -*-Bill