Re: [LINUX_Newbies] I want to view my windows files

  • Cindy Cullen
    Message 1 of 54 , Dec 3, 2004
      > Recompiling a kernel in FC, if I'm not mistaken, goes like this:
      >
      > 1) Installing kernel sources and kernel headers RPMs from the CDs.
      > 2) cd /usr/src/linux; make menuconfig
      > 3) Selecting NTFS support under File Systems.
      > 4) make && make modules_install
      > 5) Copy the new kernel to the /boot directory.
      > 6) Set the bootloader to boot the new kernel.
      > 7) Reboot.
      >
      > If this seems like too much for you, I'd look into your other options.

      Thanks Chad. I may have to do this, but since this does seem a little
      intimidating right now, I'm going to use it as a last resort.

      I really do appreciate everyone's help.

      Cindy
    • Cindy Cullen
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 4, 2004
        On Friday 03 December 2004 18:52, abc wrote:
        > Cindy why dont you install windows then reinstall linux boot loader

        Every time I've installed windows it formats the hard drive and I lose
        everything. Windows will not boot now - it hangs on the blue screen before
        the login screen. I've tried safe mode, command line prompt, restoring to an
        earlier good configuration - nothing lets me past the blue screen. I have
        some files on that partition that I would really like to save. It was a dual
        boot system with Windows and Fedora - but since Fedora wouldn't let me access
        the ntfs files system, I installed SuSE over the Fedora.

        I just want to save those files. I'm open to any new ideas!

        Cindy