Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Script Help Required, please.

  • ed
    • Michael Kjorling
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        On 2004-12-01 20:24 +0000, ed@... wrote:
        > echo `echo $MP3PLAYER | sed 's/WINAMP/XMMS/'`

        What's wrong with this...?

        echo $MP3PLAYER | sed 's/WINAMP/XMMS/'

        Avoids a second spawn plus the overhead of using backticks. The pipe
        is bad enough.

        --
        Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
        OpenPGP Fingerprint: 3723 9372 c245 d6a8 18a6 36ac 758F8749 BDE9ADA6
        • Brad Rogers
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
            On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:24:16 +0000
            ed <ed@...> wrote:

            Hello ed,

            > > > Learn bash and it will become the highlight of your days.
            > > Well, I wouldn't go that far..... :-)
            > You have not experienced the deep joy(tm) of dropping some kung-foo
            > script into a working system and see it spawn off a dozen carefully
            > selected tasks, auto-magically.

            True, but I can appreciate a good job well done, so I take your meaning.

            > I think half the power of bash is in utils like grep sed and tr.
            > They're VERY powerful and well worth learning:

            I can see that they are, yes. Sadly, most of the info I have about them
            leaves a lot to be desired. One day, a Google session is in order, I
            feel.

            > MP3PLAYER="My favourite mp3 player is WINAMP"
            > echo `echo $MP3PLAYER | sed 's/WINAMP/XMMS/'`
            > The above does not qualify for deep joy (tm) but I'm sure you get the
            > idea.

            Indeed, I do.

            --
            Regards _