Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux

  • wolf_bear
    Message 1 of 70 , Aug 13, 2004
      Tim Fairchild wrote:

      > On Friday 13 Aug 2004 10:59, neonixuser wrote:
      > > More of a personal opinion poll really but I have had some trouble
      > > with Red Hat FC 2 install so I was wondering what distro's were really
      > > the best for newbies home, single computer use? (I know there are a
      > > ton of distro's claiming to be great for n00bs but there has to be
      > > some distro better than another). Thanks.
      >
      > For an install and go linux that won't hold you back down the track
      > the pick
      > is probably Mandrake.

      yeah, Mandrake is generally considered best/easiest for newbies.

      However, I just installed fc2 and had no problems. A lot less than when
      I installed rh9 and Suse. Although that could just be that I've had
      more experience with it now! =P
    • neonixuser
      Message 70 of 70 , Aug 15, 2004
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Richard Gagnon <richg_1998@y...>
        wrote:
        > You might think of buying "Moving to Linux, Kiss the Blue Screen of
        Death
        > Goodbye" by Marcel Gagne. I just bought it from Amazon.com for
        24.95, free
        > shipping over 25.00. I added another book to bring it over 25.00. I just
        > started with a Lindows configured computer and the book helps me with
        > terminology that forum users can throw at you.
        > It is very nice for noobies as it transitions from windows to Linux.
        A cd with
        > knoppix is included. Some screen shots to help. The book covers
        installing red
        > hat, mandrake, suse,and knoppix. You need the cds for the first
        three but
        > instructions are given to help you. The equivalent info might be on
        the web but
        > I have not found it.
        > I have tried knoppix 3.4 on a live cd and it is great.
        > Good luck.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Richard

        > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        Thanks for the advice everyone. I will look into the book and give
        mandrake a shot.