Boot Loader Problems with Grub/FC 2

  • neonixuser
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      Got the error about not being able to align the partitions correctly
      when trying to do a new install of FC 2. Googled it but only found
      threads that yeilded mixed or no successful results.****Long Detailed
      version: I have a 20G and an 80G HD. Trying to do dual boot with XP.
      Home box, too much data and not enough CD's to back up so
      re-formating is not an option. (Anyone have a 100 GB external HD?)
      Also, installed programs to D: so both partitions need to remain in
      existance in some form. Anyway, used Partition Magic 8 to free up
      about 20 GB and allowed FC 2 to do the partitioning on that and
      everything. Got the above mentioned error during the install before I
      did the boot loader configuration (Of which I have tried every
      combination of settings one could possibly try now). Install went
      great. Upon reboot, the word Grub appears at the top left of the
      screen in ascii and everything stops there. I had to go into set up
      again and get rid of grub and fdisk /mbr to get back to Windows. Any
      help is greatly appreciated. Thnks.
    • Mark Jensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
        neonixuser wrote:
        > Got the error about not being able to align the partitions correctly
        > when trying to do a new install of FC 2. Googled it but only found
        > threads that yeilded mixed or no successful results.****Long Detailed
        > version: I have a 20G and an 80G HD. Trying to do dual boot with XP.
        > Home box, too much data and not enough CD's to back up so
        > re-formating is not an option. (Anyone have a 100 GB external HD?)
        > Also, installed programs to D: so both partitions need to remain in
        > existance in some form. Anyway, used Partition Magic 8 to free up
        > about 20 GB and allowed FC 2 to do the partitioning on that and
        > everything. Got the above mentioned error during the install before I
        > did the boot loader configuration (Of which I have tried every
        > combination of settings one could possibly try now). Install went
        > great. Upon reboot, the word Grub appears at the top left of the
        > screen in ascii and everything stops there. I had to go into set up
        > again and get rid of grub and fdisk /mbr to get back to Windows. Any
        > help is greatly appreciated. Thnks.

        Try going into BIOS and getting your drive out of CHS (or "auto") mode,
        and put it into LBA mode. I have heard that this is 100% effective.

        Mark