GNOME can't find IP address

  • Duane A. Couchot-Vore
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      It was easy to convince my boss to move our intranet server from
      Win-XP to Linux, but now I'm going to need a lot of help, so please be
      patient with me. I have several questions, but figure it's better to
      break them up to keep threads clean. Here's the first:

      Red Hat Fedora Core 2

      Booting into Gnome I get an error message that it can't find an IP
      address for ws9008 (the hostname). Yet, I obviously getting one from
      the Windows DHCP server, as verified by ifconfig and the fact that I'm
      posting this message on that very system.

      Any ideas?

      A possibly related issue: I can see the rest of the Windows network
      from this box, but can't see this box from the rest of the network. I
      figure this is a DNS setup issue that'll have to wait until our NA is
      back from vacation, but I'm throwing it in in case there is some
      relevance.

      Thanks,
      Duane
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:50:18PM +0000, Duane A. Couchot-Vore wrote:

        > Red Hat Fedora Core 2
        >

        > Any ideas?
        >
        > A possibly related issue: I can see the rest of the Windows network
        > from this box, but can't see this box from the rest of the network. I
        > figure this is a DNS setup issue that'll have to wait until our NA is
        > back from vacation, but I'm throwing it in in case there is some
        > relevance.

        I think it's possible that your firewall may be blocking nmbd (one of
        the two daemons used with samba.) I am not a samba expert by any means,
        but it ~seems~ to me that this happened once to me, and that was the
        reason.

        Your firewall has to allow both the smbd and nmbd daemons. Ports
        137-139. I ~think~ it's udp on 137 and 138 and tcp/ip on 139.

        --

        Scott

        Faith: Isn't it crazy how slayin' just always makes you
        hungry and horny?
        Buffy: Well... sometimes I crave a nonfat yogurt afterwards.
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          Duane A. Couchot-Vore wrote:
          > It was easy to convince my boss to move our intranet server from
          > Win-XP to Linux, but now I'm going to need a lot of help, so please be
          > patient with me. I have several questions, but figure it's better to
          > break them up to keep threads clean. Here's the first:
          >
          > Red Hat Fedora Core 2
          >
          > Booting into Gnome I get an error message that it can't find an IP
          > address for ws9008 (the hostname). Yet, I obviously getting one from
          > the Windows DHCP server, as verified by ifconfig and the fact that I'm
          > posting this message on that very system.
          >
          > Any ideas?

          Two things:
          1. Why are you using GNOME on a server? It would be less
          resource-intensive to just run command line all the time.
          2. That sounds like the standard issue GNOME has with /etc/hosts. Type

          man hosts

          at the command line and read up on the syntax of the file. Then edit it
          to provide as much information as possible as root. If that doesn't
          work, I'm out of ideas.

          Chad Martin
        • Duane A. Couchot-Vore
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chad Martin <chad@t...> wrote:
            > 1. Why are you using GNOME on a server? It would be less
            > resource-intensive to just run command line all the time.

            I'm using GNOME because I'm not that familiar with Linux yet and it's
            helping my find my way around. I'm figuring on taking it off once
            everything is working.

            > 2. That sounds like the standard issue GNOME has with /etc/hosts. Type
            >
            > man hosts
            >
            > at the command line and read up on the syntax of the file. Then
            edit it
            > to provide as much information as possible as root. If that doesn't
            > work, I'm out of ideas.

            Yeah, I finally found /etc/hosts and edited the loopback entry to:

            127.0.0.1 ws9008 localhost

            Seems to fix that problem but I didn't know if I went about it the
            right way.

            The issue with the Windows boxes not being able to see the Linux box
            was because the Sambe daemon wasn't running.

            Thanks for your help,
            Duane