Subject: Re: what's in a word...

  • Cyberesque
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2004
      >> eliroven wrote:

      >> hi guys - just a quickie:
      >>
      >> should Linux be pronounced
      >>
      >> "Lee-nux" or
      >>
      >> "Lie-nux" - if you see what I mean?
      >>
      >> cheers
      >>
      >> eliroven

      > wolf_bear <wolf_bear@...> wrote

      >I heard a sound file with Linus Torvold pronouncing it as LIN to rhyme
      >with WIN. Although I keep pronouncing it LIE to rhyme with WHY.

      I never saw the original in my digest (odd) but here goes.......
      Linus himself prounces it like his name (Leenus) Lee-nux, but he also said
      pronounce it however you like!

      I know of three pronounciations

      Li-nux
      Lee-nux
      Lie-nux

      At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, there is no right or wrong
      way and it's down to your own personal preference.
      (I think Americans like to call it "Lie-nux" as Linus is an American name as
      well (pronouced Lie-nus) :)

      Cheers
      Cyn
      ----
      Registered Linux User No.316991
      MDK 9.2 / Kernel 2.4.22.25 / KDE 3.1
    • wolf_bear
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2004
        Cyberesque wrote:

        > I never saw the original in my digest (odd) but here goes.......
        > Linus himself prounces it like his name (Leenus) Lee-nux, but he also said
        > pronounce it however you like!
        >
        > I know of three pronounciations
        >
        > Li-nux
        > Lee-nux
        > Lie-nux
        >
        > At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, there is no right or wrong
        > way and it's down to your own personal preference.
        > (I think Americans like to call it "Lie-nux" as Linus is an American
        > name as
        > well (pronouced Lie-nus) :)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Cyn