Red Hat 9, NIC is working, but no 'net

  • Lance Hopper
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27 9:58 AM
      Hello,
      I'm diving into Linux for the first time. Mainly for Linux
      Enhanced Machine Control(EMC).

      I've got Redhat Linux Bible that came with RH9. I got RH9 up and
      running no sweat and it's great. However, I can't get on the 'net
      with my cable modem.

      My NIC was fully recognized and is eth0. It is also "active"
      (using DHCP)in my network settings. During bootup "eth0" initializes
      no problem. This was confirmed using "dmesg | grep eth" in the
      console. I also ran "# ifconfig" in console and got positive
      results. I pinged some IP's and had my ISP (Cox Communications) ping
      me with positive results.

      When I run Netscape or Konquer web browsers there is nothing.
      Like the browsers don't know I've got a connection.

      During install I did set security to high. I went in and "eth0" was
      NOT checked as a "trusted device." Nor was HTTP checked for
      allowable incoming, DHCP was checked. I manually selected these
      items rebooted etc. and still nothing. I even tried with no
      firewall/security at all and it still didn't work.

      Please help a Linux newbie. I'm stumped.
    • Hylton Conacher (webmail)
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 2:55 AM
        Powered by Tiscali - http://www.tiscali.co.za

[...]

        Does the machine know it must use the NIC for internet connection or is there a modem as well? If the eth0 is not trusted than the system will not communicate using it, period.

        I think your problem is the security. drop your security level to 0, try the net and see the results, then slowly increase the security until you figure out what is causing it.

        HIH

        Hylton

      • Michael Kjorling
        • Horror Vacui
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 3:37 AM
            On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:58:02 -0000
            Lance wrote:

            > My NIC was fully recognized and is eth0. It is also "active"
            > (using DHCP)in my network settings. During bootup "eth0" initializes
            > no problem. This was confirmed using "dmesg | grep eth" in the
            > console. I also ran "# ifconfig" in console and got positive
            > results. I pinged some IP's and had my ISP (Cox Communications) ping
            > me with positive results.

            Looking for ethX in dmesg output is rather something you want to do if
            you suspect a hardware error. The path you want to go when
            troubleshooting is starting from whatever is closest to you. After
            checking whether your NIC has an address with ifconfig, you'll then want
            to ping that address (to check for internal errors), then the IP of
            whatever the NIC is connected to, then going further and further until
            you reach wherever you want to get to, in this case the internet.

            > When I run Netscape or Konquer web browsers there is nothing.
            > Like the browsers don't know I've got a connection.

            Try this typing into the address bar of your browser:
            http://152.2.210.81
            That's the IP of www.tldp.org, and if it works, it means that your DNS
            configuration is wrong.

            > During install I did set security to high. I went in and "eth0" was
            > NOT checked as a "trusted device." Nor was HTTP checked for
            > allowable incoming, DHCP was checked. I manually selected these
            > items rebooted etc. and still nothing. I even tried with no
            > firewall/security at all and it still didn't work.

            Allowing incomming HTTP connections is unnecessary, unless you're
            running a web server. To surf the web, you don't need it (it's more a
            slight security risk, so disable it again).

            > Please help a Linux newbie. I'm stumped.

            This is rather a networking-newbie than a linux-newbie issue. The pure
            connectivity isn't everything you need here. When you load a webpage in
            your browser, you don't get it from an URL, you get it from an IP
            address. That URL gets mapped to the IP without your seeing it - and
            that's the job of DNS.

            Check whether your IP configuration is also set to configure DNS via
            DHCP. If you know the IP addresses of your DNS servers, you can also
            enter them in the file /etc/resolv conf like this:
            nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
            where xxx... is the IP. This doesn't interfere with DNS configuration
            via DHCP, since it will overwrite your /etc/resolv.conf when it's
            successful (and restore it afterwards).

            Cheers

            --
            Horror Vacui

            Registered Linux user #257714

            - and keep following the GNU.
          • Lance Hopper
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28 4:39 AM
              Hey,
              Thanks for the help people. I think I had my security messed up.
              I did a total reinstall (having probs with WinXP / RH9 dual boot too)
              and set security at 0 during install. I haven't tried it yet, but I
              think that will do it. If not then I'll be back. Thanks for
              everyones' time and help.

              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@g...>

            • stormi
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28 10:15 AM
                > I've got Redhat Linux Bible that came with RH9. I got RH9 up and
                > running no sweat and it's great. However, I can't get on the 'net
                > with my cable modem.
                >
                > My NIC was fully recognized and is eth0. It is also "active"
                > (using DHCP)in my network settings. During bootup "eth0" initializes
                > no problem. This was confirmed using "dmesg | grep eth" in the
                > console. I also ran "# ifconfig" in console and got positive
                > results. I pinged some IP's and had my ISP (Cox Communications) ping
                > me with positive results.
                >
                > When I run Netscape or Konquer web browsers there is nothing.
                > Like the browsers don't know I've got a connection.

                Hi Lance,

                This is a problem that kicks me in the rear-end every once in a while. I
                use Mandrake, so it's likely very similar. My problem comes down to the
                system not knowing where the "gateway" is. (This is assuming that the
                surfing by I.P. that someone else suggested doesn't work. ) In my case, I
                usually run linuxconf and add it to the "set defaults" portion of the
                Networking->Routing and Gateways section, I'm sure that you can edit some
                file in /etc/??? but I'm sorry,.. I'm not sure which one it is. Now I
                know you don't have linuxconf anymore on Redhat, but hopefully this will
                point you in the right direction.

                hth
                stormi