Re: [LINUX_Newbies] perl -MCPAN -e shell

  • polaris
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2004
      On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:41:03 -0400
      "Michael E. Cummins" <michael@...> wrote:

      > When I type perl -MCPAN -e shell, I receive an error:
      >
      > "Can't locate CPAN.pm in @INC" and then it politely tells me what @INC does
      > contain.
      >
      > Q: What is @INC ?
      >
      > Q: Does this mean that my version of perl does not include CPAN ?

      Probably. Try 'locate CPAN.pm' and see if you get any results. If not, just
      download the source here - http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/ - and
      install it, then try to run the shell again.

      Bob
    • Chad Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2004
        Somebody already directed you about the second question, so I figured
        I'd make note of the first.

        Michael E. Cummins wrote:
        > Q: What is @INC ?

        It's kinda like Perl's equivalent of the path. @INC is a list of
        directories where Perl looks for modules, like CPAN.pm.

        > Q: Does this mean that my version of perl does not include CPAN ?

        That would be strange, but it seems to be the case.

        Chad Martin
      • Michael E. Cummins
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2004
          In a Windows Networking environment, I can assign a large number of
          permissions to a folder under NTFS.

          I can say "this person owns it, this person can read it but not write to it,
          this person...." so on and so forth.

          Exploring permissions on my Linux box, it doesn't seem to think the same
          way. I only see how to change ownership of a directory, or to change what
          group it belongs to.

          Do I understand this correctly? How do I accomplish the same sort of
          permissions arrangement that I do in Windows? Is it possible? Or do I
          simply have to learn a different way of thinking?

          Thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. :)

          -- Michael Cummins
        • Chad Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9, 2004
            Michael E. Cummins wrote:
            > Exploring permissions on my Linux box, it doesn't seem to think the same
            > way. I only see how to change ownership of a directory, or to change what
            > group it belongs to.
            >
            > Do I understand this correctly? How do I accomplish the same sort of
            > permissions arrangement that I do in Windows? Is it possible? Or do I
            > simply have to learn a different way of thinking?

            Every file has an owner and a group. Furthermore, you can set read,
            write, and execute permissions for the owner, group, and everybody.
            chown changes the ownership and chmod changes the permissions. If you
            run ls -l, you can see the permissions for each file on the left-hand
            side, which will have the pattern of rwxrwxrwx. The first three
            indicate the owner's permissions, then the group's, then everybody else.
            In this case, everybody has permissions to do everything. If you see
            something like r--r-----, then only the owner and group can read it, and
            nothing else.

            That should be the basic info you need to know.

            Chad Martin
          • Gerard Lutz
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2004
              Le Dimanche 9 Mai 2004 21:06, Michael E. Cummins a écrit :
              > In a Windows Networking environment, I can assign a large number of
              > permissions to a folder under NTFS.
              >
              > I can say "this person owns it, this person can read it but not write to
              > it, this person...." so on and so forth.
              >
              > Exploring permissions on my Linux box, it doesn't seem to think the same
              > way. I only see how to change ownership of a directory, or to change what
              > group it belongs to.
              >
              > Do I understand this correctly? How do I accomplish the same sort of
              > permissions arrangement that I do in Windows? Is it possible? Or do I
              > simply have to learn a different way of thinking?
              >

              > Thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. :)
              >
              > -- Michael Cummins

              See man chmod !
              --
              Amicalement, Gerard;-)