Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New poll for LINUX_Newbies

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 4, 2004
      On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:06:23 +0100
      Michael wrote:

      • wolf_bear
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4, 2004
          LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > LINUX_Newbies group:
          >
          > I will upgrade my Kernel to 2.6 if my
          > Distro supports it.
          >
          > o Yes, I have already
          > o No, Kernel 2.4 suits me fine
          > o Maybe, I'll think about it...
          > o Can't be bothered! :-)
          > o What's with this Kernel thing anyway?

          > web site listed above.
          >
          > Thanks!

          Only thing I dislike about upgrading kernels is tthat I have to
          recompile drivers, like my modem driver.
        • wolf_bear
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 4, 2004
            LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > LINUX_Newbies group:
            >
            > What Runlevel do you mainly use?
            >
            > o Runlevel 1 - single user/maintenance
            > o Runlevel 2
            > o Runlevel 3 - text console
            > o Runlevel 4
            > o Runlevel 5 Graphical GUI

            > web site listed above.
            >
            > Thanks!

            Just edit the choices to:

            o single user
            o maintenance
            o text console
            o Direct mental tap
            o Graphical GUI

            I wouldn't remove options 2 and 5 or move the options around unless you
            know if it will keep the same results. I.e. - if you got rid of option
            2 would the votes for 3 move to 4 (since 4 is now the third option)?
            You could split up single user and maintenance
          • Michael Kjorling
            • Michael Kjorling
              • Brian
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 4, 2004
                  HI all Linux users ;
                  Ive ran upon a Bit of A stumbling Block
                  Im running TopoLinux (ever heard of it") well im trying to get My
                  wireless Ethernet Card Drivers For it,
                  The Card Is made by 3com and the Number Is 3crdw696
                  It's a PCI wireless LAN card,
                  If anyone has any leads let me know
                  Once I get the drivers am I Going to have to recompile the kernel
                  To get the drivers Installed,>?
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Brian " <subrian@m...> wrote:

                    > HI all Linux users ;
                    > Ive ran upon a Bit of A stumbling Block
                    > Im running TopoLinux (ever heard of it") well im trying to get My
                    > wireless Ethernet Card Drivers For it,
                    > The Card Is made by 3com and the Number Is 3crdw696
                    > It's a PCI wireless LAN card,

                    Have a look here :-

                    http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/LinuxDrivers

                    I am running mandrake 9.1 so I can't answer your question about
                    recompiling the kernel after installation of said drivers...

                    Maybe somebody else on here can help you with that?

                    I hope the Url is useful to you

                    Regards,
                    David
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Brian " <subrian@m...> wrote:

                      > HI all Linux users ;
                      > Ive ran upon a Bit of A stumbling Block
                      > Im running TopoLinux (ever heard of it") well im trying to get My
                      > wireless Ethernet Card Drivers For it,
                      > The Card Is made by 3com and the Number Is 3crdw696
                      > It's a PCI wireless LAN card,
                      > If anyone has any leads let me know
                      > Once I get the drivers am I Going to have to recompile the kernel
                      > To get the drivers Installed,>?

                      Brian,

                      Apologies... scratch that last Email....

                      Try here:_

                      http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/3/2003/10/1

                      its about 9th from the top of the list - look for your Lan card model

                      Hope this helps

                      Regards,

                      David
                    • Chad Martin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                        Brian wrote:
                        > Ive ran upon a Bit of A stumbling Block
                        > Im running TopoLinux (ever heard of it") well im trying to get My
                        > wireless Ethernet Card Drivers For it,
                        > The Card Is made by 3com and the Number Is 3crdw696
                        > It's a PCI wireless LAN card,
                        > If anyone has any leads let me know
                        > Once I get the drivers am I Going to have to recompile the kernel
                        > To get the drivers Installed,>?

                        It looks like somebody did the googling for you. If you want to know
                        what you have to do to get the drivers installed, I'd suggest reading
                        the README and/or INSTALL files that come with the driver.

                        Chad Martin
                      • VJ
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                          Hey all,

                          I have a mandrake 7.2 and Win 2000 dual boot on my P-2 Laptop, with 64 MB RAM. I was wondering if
                          there will be any problem in Mandrake 7.2, if I added another 64 MB memory.

                          Please give your suggestions.

                          Thankyou,
                          VJ.

                          =====
                          -----Great Ideas from Great Brains of Great Persons produce Great Results-----
                          -VJ (1978 - Still alive and kicking)

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                            On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:15:54PM -0800, VJ wrote:

                            > Hey all,
                            >
                            > I have a mandrake 7.2 and Win 2000 dual boot on my P-2 Laptop, with 64 MB RAM. I was wondering if
                            > there will be any problem in Mandrake 7.2, if I added another 64 MB memory.
                            >
                            > Please give your suggestions.
                            >
                            > Thankyou,
                            > VJ.
                            >
                            > =====
                            > -----Great Ideas from Great Brains of Great Persons produce Great Results-----
                            > -VJ (1978 - Still alive and kicking)

                            > Filtered by despammed.com. Tracer: 1076026933
                            > Consider a PayPal donation to help Despammed
                            > stay a step or two ahead of the bad guys.
                            > A new PayPal donation button is now on the
                            > home page. Thanks!

                            Giles: I suspect your mother would want to... put it on the
                            refrigerator.
                            Buffy: Yeah. She saw these scores and her head spun around and
                            exploded.
                            Giles: I've been on the Hellmouth too long, that was metaphorical,
                            yes?
                            Buffy: Yes.
                          • Chad Martin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                              VJ wrote:
                              > I have a mandrake 7.2 and Win 2000 dual boot on my P-2 Laptop, with 64 MB RAM. I was wondering if
                              > there will be any problem in Mandrake 7.2, if I added another 64 MB memory.

                              There should be no issues, as long as the memory is not broken. In
                              fact, I'd suggest adding more than that, but that's just me.

                              Chad Martin
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 5, 2004
                                On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:01:51PM -0500, Scott wrote:
                                > On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:15:54PM -0800, VJ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hey all,
                                > >
                                > > I have a mandrake 7.2 and Win 2000 dual boot on my P-2 Laptop, with 64 MB RAM. I was wondering if
                                > > there will be any problem in Mandrake 7.2, if I added another 64 MB memory.

                                Sorry, hit reply to this by mistake--I had no comment.

                                Abashedly yours,

                                Willow: Xander, wanna stay and help me?
                                Xander: Are you kidding?
                                Willow: Yes, it was a joke I made up.