Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Text input

  • Horror Vacui
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:26:12 -0500
      Scott wrote:

      > On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:55:41AM -0600, Mark Jensen wrote:
      > > On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 10:57, wordsmith347 wrote:
      > > > me again, once I have managed to enter the text editor Vi, I have
      > > > been told to type esc w to save the file. The only snag being the
      > > > only response from linux is the message "no such file or folder."
      > > > Even
      > > > typing in several variations on it do not work. I have a feeling
      > > > that I am missing something somewhere but where
      >
      > Mark's answer was good. Here is a nice tutorial on basic use of vi
      > that might help.
      >

      > http://math.la.asu.edu/vi_tutorial/vi3.html

      The one that got me started is (mostly) installed along with vim. Just
      type "vimtutor" on the command line, and you'll get a vim with a text
      file leading you through the basics of vim usage. Simple, but effective.

      Cheers

      --
      Horror Vacui

      Registered Linux user #257714

      - and keep following the GNU.
    • wordsmith347
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Mark Jensen <markjensen@c...>
        wrote:
        > On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 10:57, wordsmith347 wrote:
        > > me again, once I have managed to enter the text editor Vi, I have
        > > been told to type esc w to save the file. The only snag being the
        > > only response from linux is the message "no such file or folder."
        > > Even
        > > typing in several variations on it do not work. I have a feeling
        that
        > > I am missing something somewhere but where
        >
        > Well, try this step-by-step, and let us know what is different when
        you
        > do it: (I will use double quotes, please don't enter them)
        >
        > 1. at console (logged in as your normal user level), type "cd" and
        hit
        > ENTER (this ensures you are in your home directory)
        > 2. type "vi test123" and hit ENTER. This should start vi, and show
        you

        I have gone through the five steps and, to my surprise, it worked.
        This leads me to suspect that the problem may indeed be elsewhere.
        When I had started Vi, I have been in my home directory and typed
        in "expenditure/equipment.txt" Would I be right in thinking that if I
        had been in the expenditure sub-directory then I would have no
        problems saving it.
        If that is the case then is there an easy way to slip into the sub-
        directory involved?

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 07:31:43AM +0000, wordsmith347 wrote:
          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Mark Jensen <markjensen@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 10:57, wordsmith347 wrote:
          >
          > I have gone through the five steps and, to my surprise, it worked.
          > This leads me to suspect that the problem may indeed be elsewhere.
          > When I had started Vi, I have been in my home directory and typed
          > in "expenditure/equipment.txt" Would I be right in thinking that if I
          > had been in the expenditure sub-directory then I would have no
          > problems saving it.
          > If that is the case then is there an easy way to slip into the sub-
          > directory involved?

          Hrrm, that shouldn't have been the problem. Assuming you have permission
          to write to the expenditure directory (and the equipment.test file) then
          it should be (if you're in your home directory and expenditure is a
          directory in there)

          vi expenditure/equipment.txt
          Make your changes. (Using one of the insert commands, i, I a, A, o, O
          etc)

          Hit escape to leave insert mode.

          Then you should be able to do

          :x (or :wq, ZZ etc, any of the write and save commands--my habit is
          :x) and it should save the file.

          It's possible you made some minor error somewhere that you simply
          overlooked.

          Willow: I just talked to Buffy, and yeah, I think she's feeling a
          little... insane. No, not bitchy crazy, more like homicidal
          maniac crazy. So I told her to come see you, 'kay?
        • wordsmith347
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@d...> wrote:
            > On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 07:31:43AM +0000, wordsmith347 wrote:
            > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Mark Jensen
            <markjensen@c...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > Hrrm, that shouldn't have been the problem. Assuming you have
            permission
            > to write to the expenditure directory (and the equipment.test file)
            then
            > it should be (if you're in your home directory and expenditure is a
            > directory in there)
            >
            > vi expenditure/equipment.txt
            > Make your changes. (Using one of the insert commands, i, I a, A, o,
            > etc)
            >
            > Hit escape to leave insert mode.

            > Then you should be able to do
            >
            > :x (or :wq, ZZ etc, any of the write and save commands--my habit
            is
            > :x) and it should save the file.
            >
            > It's possible you made some minor error somewhere that you simply
            > overlooked.

            Believe it or not, that is just what the problem appears to have
            been. I went into the sub-directory first and then created the file.
            Things went just as they should be and I have been metaphorically
            tearing my hair out for about a month trying to work out where I was
            going wrong.
            The only snag came when I closed the file and tried to print it out.
            typing lp equipment.txt produced the message "unknown printer"

          • markjensen@charter.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
              Glad to hear that there is a successful resolution!

              I have found that I learn best by running into problems!
              (I learn next best by helping others who do things
              differently, and I learn different solutions to the
              problems)

              Mark