Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Digest Number 1399

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Joan Leach <jleach728@...>
      > Subject: Re: I'm a really new newbie.
      >

      > Mark Jensen <markjensen@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 18:25, Robert Cummings wrote:
      > >It won't load. I
      > > stumbled
      > > around with a Windows 98 boot disk and managed to
      > fdisk and format a 6mb
      > > DOS partition. Then, I played around with the DOS
      > >program until I
      > > found
      > > (CD Rom drive) E:\dosutils\rawrite to copy the
      > E:\images\boot.img and
      > > the
      > > (I think) initrd.img files to a couple of
      > floppies. I managed to get
      > > the E:\dosutils\autoboot.bat and installed to a
      > 1.2 MB HDD. I played
      > > with the program enough to figure out the size
      > partitions, and all. I
      > > got a clean install up to where it says to put a
      > formatted diskette
      > > into
      > > the A drive. I do, and I click "next" and I get a
      > "Problem
      > > encountered"
      > > dialog box and no matter how I try I can't get a
      > boot disk. In
      > > subsequent installations, I checked the "boot into
      > DOS" box, which I
      > > hadn't before, and naively thought that it would
      > allow me to boot the
      > > HDD
      > > (C:\), y'know? No sponduli. "No changes were made
      > to the kernel and
      > > therefore no changes were made to the
      > bootmanager." No joy. No boot.

      Can you go and get the Knoppix CD? And, a boot
      floppy?
      either a dos/utils that you rawwrite,(I hope you are
      doing RAWRITE on those, not just copy!)

      Or, I have seen this with the BIOS, IF you fdisk the
      hard drive, but, DO NOT FORMAT it, and it is the ONLY
      hard drive in the computer, the CD WILL BOOT even
      though it is NOT in the BIOS selections!

      This did work with some of my older systems that I
      found on the curb... Pentium 90 to P233 systems...
      Compaqs, (yes, they once had a boot/bios partition,
      that I erased...)
      Aopen, (run FANTASTIC on Gnu/Linux!), Soltek, and
      PcChips... HTH

      =====
      Patrick, Linux User #65411 http://lugww.counter.li.org
      http://knopper.net/knoppix http://distrowatch.com http://sourceforge.net