Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux 9 raid motherboard?

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Mark Jensen <markjensen@...> wrote:
      On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 04:31, Peter Cooke wrote:
      > I'd like to get a motherboard for my 2 ide drives that has raid
      > drivers and will work with Redhat 9. Is anyone running raid Redhat 9
      > with ide drives?
      >
      > Thanks a ton for any info or insight.
      >
      > -pete

      Well, I know you can do a 'software RAID', and I don't think that the MB
      is that important (as long as Linux knows it). However, with IDE, you
      are limited to 4 devices. And I assume that one of these will be a
      CD-ROM? That leaves you with 3. Unless you want to forgo CD-ROM
      support, and use this as a reliable file storage system?

      Mark

      Hi,

      Look into the A-Bit boards the later kernels support them. If memory serves you can have 4 ide plus use the raid and use an adapter if you don't have the newest types of drives. It gives a total of 12 ide then!

      Good hunting, Joan