Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: VCRs and Xawtv

  • Mark Jensen
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2003
      On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:34, verteg900 wrote:

      > > > Hello Horror Vacui, There are three tabs in the xawtv settings
      > window
      > > > that look terrribly important. There's one called TV norm
      > > > (pal,ntsc,secam,etc.), one called Video Source
      > (input,TV,composite),
      > > > and one called Frequency with settings for various countries. Can
      > you
      > > > tell me which settings I should use?
      > >
      > > Guessing it right is often much faster than reading a manual. I
      > > configured xawtv by guessing.

      Well, to take some of the guesswork out of it, you should be able to
      find out what broadcasting standard you use in your country. The US is
      NTSC (I think a few other countries use a variant of it, but not too
      many). Europe is mostly PAL, I think, with the exception of France may
      be SECAM. This is all off the top of my head. Please verify by
      googling the country of your residence.

      The video source should be where you connect the video to your card.
      Another one easy to figure out.

      The frequency will require a bit more (guesswork may take a while), but
      I believe that this will only apply with the TV option. The COMPOSITE
      and the input I believe use a standard frequency range, as they are only
      for a single channel.

      That leaves us with what is the frequency of the channel you are
      interested in looking at. (again, only for TV option, as far as I
      know). Google it out, once you know the broadcast type. In the US,
      the FCC publishes this information, and other sites will document the
      other standards.

      Good Luck!

      Mark
    • verteg900
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2003
        > Well, to take some of the guesswork out of it, you should be able to
        > find out what broadcasting standard you use in your country. The US is
        > NTSC (I think a few other countries use a variant of it, but not too
        > many). Europe is mostly PAL, I think, with the exception of France may
        > be SECAM. This is all off the top of my head. Please verify by
        > googling the country of your residence.
        >
        > The video source should be where you connect the video to your card.
        > Another one easy to figure out.
        >
        > The frequency will require a bit more (guesswork may take a while), but
        > I believe that this will only apply with the TV option. The COMPOSITE
        > and the input I believe use a standard frequency range, as they are only
        > for a single channel.
        >
        > That leaves us with what is the frequency of the channel you are
        > interested in looking at. (again, only for TV option, as far as I
        > know). Google it out, once you know the broadcast type. In the US,
        > the FCC publishes this information, and other sites will document the
        > other standards.
        >
        > Good Luck!
        >
        > Mark

        Just wanted to thank you Mark for your suggestions. I still can't get
        it to work (don't even know if I'm on the right channel 3 or 4) and
        I'll problably end up buying a Nextvision N4 processor, but I thank
        you for your efforts - maybe my card is just plain broken!
        Yours, Verteg