Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Problems with KDE loading Mandrake 9.1

  • horrorvacui@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2003
      On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
      Sarina Salazar <soror_rc@...> wrote:

      > Greetings All:
      >
      > I want to thank Horror Vacui for his advice. I think that you are right
      > about the install program not plug and playing the right device driver
      > for the video card, or more likely, the driver is missing from the
      > install files. I looked for the XFree86 log file EVERYWHERE, but I
      > could not find it. It is possible Mandrake changed the log name and
      > location. (Mandrake is notorious for doing this).

      Hm. Unless some of the Mandrake users here get off their lazy arses :o)
      and tell you where it is, you might try:

      find / -name "XF*log"

      > This same video card used to be supported by Mandrake Linux 8.0 very
      > nicely. I have no idea how to "install" this driver or if I should
      > install the version of XFree86 that came with 8.0. I would be
      > greateful if somebody could point me in the right direction on what
      > should I do and I will read and break it and fix it myself. I just want
      > to avoid doing crazy stuff that won't do any good. ;-D

      Sorry, don't know where to find the drivers for your card. With my nVidia
      I get them from their site. Earlier versions only needed to be unpacked
      and very easily installed with "make" (provided that you've compiled your
      kernel), the newer versions come with an installer. It might be similar
      with drivers for your card.

      > (Oh, and KDE is not the only graph environ with display problems, it is
      > just the one that has been the most affected, I tried startx kde and it
      > worked, but the widgets are all wrong and windows that try to open
      > dissapear in a fraction of a second, stuff like that. So far
      > Enlightenment is the best behaved. Other than the titles of the windows
      > being somewhat misplaced in the title bar, there is nothing wrong. Of
      > course, kde-dependent x-programs won't display, they come up and go real
      > fast).

      Seems like X isn't the only problem (or it isn't the problem at all) -
      probably your install is screwed in some way, and since you have
      re-installed several times, it might be the CD... Try installing again
      with another CD.

      Cheers

      --
      Horror Vacui