Re: Problems with KDE loading Mandrake 9.1

  • Sarina Salazar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
      Greetings All:

      I want to thank Horror Vacui for his advice. I think that you are right about the install program not plug and playing the right device driver for the video card, or more likely, the driver is missing from the install files. I looked for the XFree86 log file EVERYWHERE, but I could not find it. It is possible Mandrake changed the log name and location. (Mandrake is notorious for doing this). This same video card used to be supported by Mandrake Linux 8.0 very nicely. I have no idea how to "install" this driver or if I should install the version of XFree86 that came with 8.0. I would be greateful if somebody could point me in the right direction on what should I do and I will read and break it and fix it myself. I just want to avoid doing crazy stuff that won't do any good. ;-D

      (Oh, and KDE is not the only graph environ with display problems, it is just the one that has been the most affected, I tried startx kde and it worked, but the widgets are all wrong and windows that try to open dissapear in a fraction of a second, stuff like that. So far Enlightenment is the best behaved. Other than the titles of the windows being somewhat misplaced in the title bar, there is nothing wrong. Of course, kde-dependent x-programs won't display, they come up and go real fast).

      Thanks so very much for your help. Have a good night/day everybody.

      Regards,

      Sarina

    • Jose Victor A. Martin, Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
        Hello,

        How do I make the GNOME PANEL appear? It was there before, and now it's
        not. What did I do to make it disappear?

        -JVAM
      • horrorvacui@gmx.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2003
          On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
          Sarina Salazar <soror_rc@...> wrote:

          > Greetings All:
          >
          > I want to thank Horror Vacui for his advice. I think that you are right
          > about the install program not plug and playing the right device driver
          > for the video card, or more likely, the driver is missing from the
          > install files. I looked for the XFree86 log file EVERYWHERE, but I
          > could not find it. It is possible Mandrake changed the log name and
          > location. (Mandrake is notorious for doing this).

          Hm. Unless some of the Mandrake users here get off their lazy arses :o)
          and tell you where it is, you might try:

          find / -name "XF*log"

          > This same video card used to be supported by Mandrake Linux 8.0 very
          > nicely. I have no idea how to "install" this driver or if I should
          > install the version of XFree86 that came with 8.0. I would be
          > greateful if somebody could point me in the right direction on what
          > should I do and I will read and break it and fix it myself. I just want
          > to avoid doing crazy stuff that won't do any good. ;-D

          Sorry, don't know where to find the drivers for your card. With my nVidia
          I get them from their site. Earlier versions only needed to be unpacked
          and very easily installed with "make" (provided that you've compiled your
          kernel), the newer versions come with an installer. It might be similar
          with drivers for your card.

          > (Oh, and KDE is not the only graph environ with display problems, it is
          > just the one that has been the most affected, I tried startx kde and it
          > worked, but the widgets are all wrong and windows that try to open
          > dissapear in a fraction of a second, stuff like that. So far
          > Enlightenment is the best behaved. Other than the titles of the windows
          > being somewhat misplaced in the title bar, there is nothing wrong. Of
          > course, kde-dependent x-programs won't display, they come up and go real
          > fast).

          Seems like X isn't the only problem (or it isn't the problem at all) -
          probably your install is screwed in some way, and since you have
          re-installed several times, it might be the CD... Try installing again
          with another CD.

          Cheers

          --
          Horror Vacui