Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Connecting to Win Based Network

  • Chad Martin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4 5:24 PM
      Werner vd Merwe wrote:
      > TCP/IP is a non-platform specific protocol. If you could check your network
      > settings, make sure your IP is in the same network. Thus, if your subnet
      > mask is 255.255.255.0, then make sure the first 3 octets of your IP
      > addresses are the same, e.g. X.X.X.Y.

      Not true. My local network in my apartment has a 255.255.255.0 netmask,
      and it's a 192.168. private network. Works great, too.

      Chad Martin
    • Werner vd Merwe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8 6:23 AM
        What I said..

        If you are using a mask of 255.255.255.0, your host ID is only your last
        octet.
        You will see all the network interfaces on the lan in your apartment, fits
        that description, up until your gateway out, which will have two ip's.

        > TCP/IP is a non-platform specific protocol. If you could check your
        network
        > settings, make sure your IP is in the same network. Thus, if your subnet
        > mask is 255.255.255.0, then make sure the first 3 octets of your IP
        > addresses are the same, e.g. X.X.X.Y.

        Not true. My local network in my apartment has a 255.255.255.0 netmask,
        and it's a 192.168. private network. Works great, too.

        Chad Martin

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Click Here!
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050065
        80:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124f8kfa7/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
        o?YH=3512152&yhad=1595054>

        To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13 5:48 PM
          Werner vd Merwe wrote:
          > What I said..
          >
          > If you are using a mask of 255.255.255.0, your host ID is only your last
          > octet.
          > You will see all the network interfaces on the lan in your apartment, fits
          > that description, up until your gateway out, which will have two ip's.

          You're so right. I'm so wrong. My bad. Nevermind...

          Chad Martin