Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Some simple questions

  • Mike Peters
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:19:37 -0500
      Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote:

      > Scott Robbins wrote:
      > >>3). I'm using S3 Graphics ProsavageDDR display adapters, during
      > >intallation (X-configuration) of linux redhat 7.2, I cannot locate
      > >for the name of the adapter inside the package. So my X-windows
      > >cannot start, What shall I do ?
      > >
      > > Not familiar with that particular card, hopefully someone using it
      > > will be able to help.
      >
      > So far two people have said that they don't know. I'd suggest going
      > to www.tldp.org and checking out the Hardware HOWTO. Look up your
      > card in the video adapters section and see if XFree86 supports it, and
      > what the driver name is.
      >
      > Chad Martin

      I seem to remember answering this last week. The driver you want is
      'savage', without the quotes. Indeed from my previous message:

      > The driver you want is named 'savage', without the qoutes. Look for a
      > section in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file with something like:
      >
      > Section "Device"
      >
      > Identifier "Card0"
      > Driver "vesa"
      >
      > EndSection
      >
      > and change the Driver line to read:
      >
      > Driver "savage"
      >
      > (vesa may well be something else but you get the idea)

      Also to the executable queston:

      --
      Mike
      Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com

      According to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle, chaos is found in greatest
      abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order,
      because it is better organized.
      (Interesting Times)