Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Multiple OS installations w/ Red Hat 8

  • David S. Brain
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2003
      nickvansmack9 wrote:
      > Currently I have a machine that has Win98se on it.
      > Its gotten bogged down, so I want to reinstall it fresh.
      >
      > I also bought a new hard drive. I'd like to install Win2K and Red hat
      > 8 on that drive (as a master) and keep the current drive w/ 98 as a
      > slave drive.
      >
      > Can someone guide me through a process on this? (I will eventually
      > have to reinstall the 98 drive...
      >
      > What is the order in installing? I was told that Win2K should be
      > placed last as it give you the option to add the other OSes...
      >
      > thanks!
      > nick

      I've been multibooting since 1992 and OS/2 V2.1. One rule for all
      16-bit MS-DOS and DOS-based Win systems (this includes thru WinME, still
      16-bit at heart) is that the bootable partition must be the primary
      partition on the 1st hard drive partition or "C". No amount of playing
      around with any boot manager/loader will change this rule. Using a boot
      manager (such as OS/2's) you can have more than one primary, with the
      others hidden from the DOS/Win system, but the Win one must be C. What
      this means is that if you want to actually boot Win98 your plan will not
      work. You will have to put the Win98 drive as the 1st hard drive
      (master) on IDE0. I don't yet know about Win2K (I just got it and it's
      not installed) but from what I understand it can be booted from a
      different drive and/or partition (with a primitive and limited version
      of LVM). Linux doesn't care where it's at, it boots from /boot or the
      MBR no matter where it is actually located, although I've been told it
      does simplify things a little if it's on the first partition of whatever
      drive it's on, a rule I never follow.

      My suggestion on the order is to make sure you have your drive
      partitioned the way you want using the various partitioning software. I
      use OS/2 FDISK to setup the partitions, then use a free program from
      PowerQuest (Partition Magic makers) called PTEDIT (running from a DOS
      boot floppy, not the lame Win9X version) to change the partition types.
      I would then install Win98 first on C as it is the most intolerant and
      inflexible op sys. I would then install Win2K, making sure it did not
      touch the C partition with Win98. Lastly, I'd install Linux as it is
      the most flexible op sys. During the install of Linux, install Grub
      with your Win98 (must be C), Win2K (D?) and Linux /boot partitions as
      options (or use your favorite boot loader, sys commander or whatever).

      Right now I'm running a quad-boot system with Win98SE on C primary, OS/2
      Warp 4.50 on F logical (drive 1 IDE0), BeOS R5.03 on 3rd logical and RH
      Linux 6.1 on 1st logical (drive 2, IDE0). I am using OS/2 Boot Manager
      on drive 1 and have LILO in the /boot partition. In a week I'll go from
      2 drives, total 19.5G, to dual 120G drives. I'm changing Win98SE to
      Win2KPro, upgrading Warp 4.50 to OS/2 eCS 1.1 (Warp 4.52), RH 6.1 to RH
      9.0 and changing BeOS Pro R5.03 to BeOS Max 2.0. You think you're life
      is complicated? ;)

      HTH in some way, For loads of info on partitioning and multiboot (with
      an OS/2 slant, but good) go to Felix Miata's page at
      http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html
      --
      Davey Brain
      dsbrain@...

      "Peace is much more precious than a piece of land... let there be no
      more wars." -- Mohammed Anwar Sadat, 1918-1981

      <<--The power of OS/2 Warp 4.50 Mozilla 1.2.1-->>
      <<--AMD Athlon 1700XP+ ATI RagePro3D 8M 2X AGP-->>
      --
      This OS/2 system uptime is 0 days 09:20 hours and 18 seconds
    • Justin Churchey
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 2:44 PM
        You will have to install Win98 and Win2k on the same "master" drive.
        Windoze cannot stand being on any other HD besides the master. Then
        install RH and write GRUB to the MBR. Additionaly config of GRUB may
        be necessary, but it's not that difficult.
      • Gerard Lutz
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2 12:40 AM
          Le Jeudi 1 Mai 2003 23:44, Justin Churchey a écrit :
          My system :
          1 - /dev/hda1 fat32 system : Dos -> 4NT
          2 - /dev/hda5 ntfs system : NT4 and W2k with same program files.
          3 - /dev/hdb2, 3 , 4 ntfs data
          4 - /dev/hdb5 -> /dev/hdb9 MDK9.0
          5 - /dev/hdb10 -> Knoppix (rescue and test)
          intalled in this order.
          Multi boot from LILO then NT

          --
          Amicalement, Gerard ;-)
          Linux user # 302199
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2 8:07 AM
            From my own experience, Red Hat is best to install last. Install W2k
            > on half the new hard drive, and RedHat on the other, and let Redhat
            > install its bootloader in the MBR.

            I am trying to do this too today. When you are saying to install W2k
            on half and Redhat on the other, where are you partitioning it? I
            just installed Windows and saw nowhere during the install to create
            multi partitions. Are you letting Redhat create 2 the halves?

            Thanks so much.

            Daniel
          • hrishi k
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 1:11 AM
              nickvansmack9 <nickvansmack9@...> wrote:Currently I have a machine that has Win98se on it.
              Its gotten bogged down, so I want to reinstall it fresh.

              I also bought a new hard drive. I'd like to install Win2K and Red hat
              8 on that drive (as a master) and keep the current drive w/ 98 as a
              slave drive.

              Can someone guide me through a process on this? (I will eventually
              have to reinstall the 98 drive...

              What is the order in installing? I was told that Win2K should be
              placed last as it give you the option to add the other OSes...

              thanks!
              nick

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              hi nick i got your problem.
              iF U WANNA KEEP ALL THE THREE OSS THEN THE ORDER SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS

              1) WIN98se
              2) WIN2k
              3) LINUX

              THE RESON BEHIND THIS IS
              1) WHEN U INSTALL AN OS WITH AN EXISTING ONE THE MASTER BOOT RECORD GETS OVER-WRITTEN & THE FIRST OS LOSE ITS BOOT RECORD
              2) IF U INSTALL WIN98 LASTLY THEN U WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT LINUX NORMALLY
              SINCE LINUX BOOTLOADERS LIKE GRUB & LILO DOSEN'T FULLY SUPPORT WIN LOADERS

              YOUR'S
              PRINCE

            • Gerard Lutz
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4 11:16 AM
                Le Samedi 3 Mai 2003 10:11, hrishi k a écrit :
                Bill and Windoze does not supported slave position.
                Install Linux on the new disk and ask lilo to primary boot on Linux !