Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: allowing ftp login, but not shell login...

  • Mike Peters
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2003
      On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 05:08:53 -0000
      "Peter Pryor" <painkillr@...> wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Pryor" <painkillr@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I have an account that people have been ftp'ing into for some time,
      > > but now I've decided that I want to block shell login, just in case
      > > someone gets snoopy.
      > >
      > > How can I leave ftp login open, but deny shell login?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Peter
      >
      > Thanks for all the replies, but I want to still be able to login
      > myself, so no go on stopping telnet/ssh, and when i changed the shell
      > to /bin/false, ftp denied login for that account.
      >
      > So I need to keep ftp open, but make sure that no one w/ the ftp
      > password can try to login w/ it.

      Sounds to me more like you need to set up chroot'ed user accounts. This
      basically creates a skeleton root file system for the users providing
      basic functionality needed for ftp but locking them out of the real file
      system.

      How you set this up depends upon what software you're using but here's a
      doc which explains how to do it using wu-ftpd and RH:
      http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap29sec296.html

      And for proftpd:
      http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userguide/linked/chroot.html#AEN715

      If this isn't what you need maybe you could reword your question.

      --
      Mike
      Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com

      It was all very well going about pure logic and how the universe was
      ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact was that
      the disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle
      and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing
      their windows.
      (Colour of Magic)