upgrading kernel....need help please

  • liunxman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      I have mandrake 8.1 and i want to upgrade the kernel...but i dont know
      which one to use. I have a redhat 8 kernel but i dont know if it would
      work in mandrake. I know i recieved a emailing about a kernel called
      kernel22-25 but i dont know if its newer then the kernel 2-4-8 that i
      am using. any suggestions?
      the last time i tryed to upgrade the kernel i got a " x is spewning
      to fast" messegs. thanks in advance.
    • Richard Pitman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
        > I have mandrake 8.1 and i want to upgrade the kernel...but i dont know
        > which one to use. I have a redhat 8 kernel but i dont know if it would
        > work in mandrake. I know i recieved a emailing about a kernel called
        > kernel22-25 but i dont know if its newer then the kernel 2-4-8 that i
        > am using. any suggestions?
        > the last time i tryed to upgrade the kernel i got a " x is spewning
        > to fast" messegs. thanks in advance.

        Not sure what the kernel you have got there is - possibly a 2.5 kernel from
        www.kernel.org, in which case you do _not_ want to use it with mandrake,
        which (along with RedHat) uses a different development tree led by Alan Cox.

        The "x respawning too fast" error after a kernel upgrade is often results
        from not having reinstalled your graphics drivers in the new kernel.

        Hope that helps.

        Richard