Re: [LINUX_Newbies] : Vacation em root directory

  • Chad Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
      Ismael (UOL) wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I'm trying to use Vacation (auto-reply tool) here but It creates its files
      > on the user's root directory.
      >
      > If i login as 'user' it creates the files (.forward, .vacation.msg,
      > .vacation.db) in the '/home/user' directory, if I login as root it creates
      > on '/root'.
      >
      > But how can I create those files in the '/home/user' directory without
      > having to know the user's password? IOW, How can I set the '/home/user' as
      > the root directory?
      >
      > When I run 'su - user' (as root) i can do stuff as user but the root
      > directory stays '/root' so Vacation creates its files there.

      You can try manually setting the $HOME environment variable. I think
      the command is something like:

      echo $HOME = /home/user

      or I may be totally off. Anybody care to verify?

      Chad Martin
    • Mike Peters
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
        On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:47:33 -0500
        Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote:

        > You can try manually setting the $HOME environment variable. I think
        > the command is something like:
        >
        > echo $HOME = /home/user
        >
        > or I may be totally off. Anybody care to verify?

        This says:

        print "the current value of home = /home/user" to standard output

        and so gives something like:

        /home/user = /home/user

        try:
        export HOME=/home/user
        --
        Mike

        Registered Linux User #247123

        'You're your own worst enemy, Rincewind,' said the sword.
        Rincewind looked up at the grinning men.
        'Bet?'
        (Colour of Magic)
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
          Mike Peters wrote:
          >>You can try manually setting the $HOME environment variable. I think
          >>the command is something like:
          >>
          >>echo $HOME = /home/user
          >>
          >>or I may be totally off. Anybody care to verify?
          >

          > This says:
          >
          > print "the current value of home = /home/user" to standard output
          >
          > and so gives something like:
          >
          > /home/user = /home/user
          >
          > try:
          > export HOME=/home/user

          That's what I'm talking about!! I knew what I wanted to say, but
          couldn't come up with the command export. Ugh, 3 hours of sleep doesn't
          do much for your brain functionality.

          Chad
        • Mike Peters
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
            On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:10:38 -0500
            Chad Martin <chad@...> wrote:

            > Mike Peters wrote:
            > >>You can try manually setting the $HOME environment variable. I
            > >think >the command is something like:
            > >>
            > >>echo $HOME = /home/user
            > >>
            > >>or I may be totally off. Anybody care to verify?
            > >

            > > This says:
            > >
            > > print "the current value of home = /home/user" to standard output
            > >
            > > and so gives something like:
            > >
            > > /home/user = /home/user
            > >
            > > try:
            > > export HOME=/home/user
            >
            > That's what I'm talking about!! I knew what I wanted to say, but
            > couldn't come up with the command export. Ugh, 3 hours of sleep
            > doesn't do much for your brain functionality.
            >
            > Chad

            I know how you feel :)

            --
            Mike

            Registered Linux User #247123

            It was all very well going about pure logic and how the universe was
            ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact was that
            the disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle
            and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing
            their windows.
            (Colour of Magic)
          • WWWY WWWY
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
              Can i use the export command to change the default tmp
              folder which is now by default /tmp, if yes, what is
              the command that i should execute ?

              thanks

              http://platinum.yahoo.com
            • Michael Kjorling

                On Mar 31 2003 08:51 -0800, WWWY WWWY wrote:

                > Can i use the export command to change the default tmp
                > folder which is now by default /tmp, if yes, what is
                > the command that i should execute ?

                Not that I really see the point (what are you trying to accomplish?) but one
                way could be...

                mkdir -p /somewhere/else
                mv /tmp/* /somewhere/else/
                rmdir /tmp
                ln -s /somewhere/else /tmp

                Michael Kjörling

                - --
                Michael Kjörling :: michael@... :: SMØYBY JO89 ^..^
                PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e \/
              • WWWY WWWY
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
                  Thanks, Michael

                  What does the -p mean ?

                  And for your information, i am running a streaming
                  server which when it encodes video, it "generates"
                  some temp files in the /tmp folder. However, my /tmp
                  is a HDD partition which is of a very small size, so i
                  need to direct the temp files to a larger mounted HDD
                  partition.

                  Will export TMP=??? work ?

                  thanks

                  --- Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • Michael Kjorling

                    On Mar 31 2003 09:26 -0800, WWWY WWWY wrote:

                    > What does the -p mean ?

                    Create a directory structure, instead of just a single directory. So:

                    # mkdir /somewhere/else

                    will fail if there is no directory /somewhere, but

                    # mkdir -p /somewhere/else

                    will create it if it does not already exist, before creating the "else"
                    subdirectory in it.

                    > Will export TMP=??? work ?

                    Impossible to say right off hand since it depends solely on the software. But
                    obviously symlinking /tmp somewhere else isn't really an option in your case.

                    Michael Kjörling

                    - --
                    Michael Kjörling :: michael@... :: SMØYBY JO89 ^..^
                    PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e \/
                  • Gerard Lutz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                      Why not define a new /tmp and add this point on fstab ?
                      Le Lundi 31 Mars 2003 17:21, Michael Kjorling a écrit :

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
                      > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

                      Linux user # 302199
                    • WWWY WWWY
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2003
                        How do i do that ?

                        "Why not define a new /tmp and add this point on fstab
                        ?"

                        thanks

                        http://tax.yahoo.com