Re: [LINUX_Newbies] ISO-8859-8

  • Andres Rosado
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
      On 04:36 PM 2/2/2003 -0500, the keyboard of Justin Alexander emitted:
      >OK, I've gotten RH to let me type in hebrew, even Left To Right, but
      >when I do I get blank spaces.. probably because it is not correctly
      >

      >Does anyone know how to persuade RH8, or linux in general to use this
      >font set?
      >
      >In GnomeTerminal?
      >
      >In Any GTK2 app? (ie bluefish)

      Please, don't cross post. It is considered of bad netiquette to do
      so. Please read http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#cross
      for more information.

      --
      THE JEOPARDY QUESTION OF THE DAY:

      A: No.
      Q: Is cross-posting okay?

    • horrorvacui@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003
        On 06 Feb 2003 13:47:28 -0500
        Justin Alexander <jkareg@...> wrote:

        > Excuse this if it sounds rude. I do not mean this as offense. Simply
        > honest opinion.
        >
        > > Please, don't cross post. It is considered of bad netiquette to do
        > > so. Please read
        > > http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#cross
        > > for more information
        > >

        > It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I cross post or not.
        >
        > I posted into 4 groups, and got 1, count it 1, reply on the subject.
        > (still no answer) All the groups I posted to were specific to the
        > subject of the post, and other than knowledge I gain nothing from cross
        > posting (in other words I wasn't selling anything).
        >
        > The only other alternative I see, is to re-write the email 4 times, and
        > send it out 4 times. Which doesn't make much sense. Especially since a
        > reader who is also interested in my question can check the archives of
        > the other mailing lists I posted in, for an answer to his question.

        It ain't that simple, Justin. Cross-posting is indeed a big no-no, it's
        against the netiquette, not only in this newsgroup. It hardly matters what
        the question is and how likely you are to get an answer. People don't like
        that because they are possibly taking time to answer a question that other
        have answered already. In fact, most of us being members of more than one
        newsgroup, we're likely to know if anybody has cross-posted. How they
        handle that, depends - if it's the first cross-post I usually answer the
        question if I can, and ask not to cross-post. Many people won't answer at
        all, so by cross-posting you're not automatically more likely to get an
        answer.

        You should post a question to one newsgroup and wait a couple of days. If
        you don't get an answer, post elsewhere (to avoid misunderstandings, say
        you didn't get an answer elsewhere).

        Cheers

        --
        Horror Vacui

        Registered Linux user #257714

        - and keep following the GNU.
      • Justin Alexander
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2003

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2003
            On 01:47 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, the keyboard of Justin Alexander emitted:
            >Excuse this if it sounds rude. I do not mean this as offense. Simply
            >honest opinion.

            No problem!

            > > Please, don't cross post. It is considered of bad netiquette to do
            > > so. Please read http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#cross
            > > for more information
            > >

            >It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I cross post or not.

            YOU didn't received the impact of the crosspost. _I_ did. I received your
            mail about 3 times. That means that you wasted MY bandwidth, MY space and
            MY resourses.

            >I posted into 4 groups, and got 1, count it 1, reply on the subject.
            >(still no answer) All the groups I posted to were specific to the
            >subject of the post, and other than knowledge I gain nothing from cross
            >posting (in other words I wasn't selling anything).

            It doesn't matter if you were selling anything or asking a question. It is
            just as bad because you are wasting MY precious space and bandwidth, that
            in the end means that YOU wasted me $$$.

            >The only other alternative I see, is to re-write the email 4 times, and
            >send it out 4 times. Which doesn't make much sense. Especially since a
            >reader who is also interested in my question can check the archives of
            >the other mailing lists I posted in, for an answer to his question.

            That is still crossposting. Horror's alternative is better; write your
            email and keep a copy and send it to ONE and ONLY ONE group. If after a
            couple of days you don't get a response, then try another group and explain
            that you were unsuccessful on another group. Repeat if necesary.

            It's better for you and easier for me.

            Crossposters get on my black list, so don't abuse, ok? ;)

            --
            A: Cross posters.
            Q: What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2003
              On 21:35 09 Feb 2003, Andres Rosado <arosado@...> wrote:
              | On 01:47 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, the keyboard of Justin Alexander emitted:
              | >Excuse this if it sounds rude. I do not mean this as offense. Simply
              | >honest opinion.
              | No problem!
              |
              | > > Please, don't cross post. It is considered of bad netiquette to do
              | > > so. Please read http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#cross
              | > > for more information
              | >
              | >It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I cross post or not.
              |
              | YOU didn't received the impact of the crosspost. _I_ did. I received your
              | mail about 3 times. That means that you wasted MY bandwidth, MY space and
              | MY resourses.

              Also: many users are not on all those groups.
              So they reply. To all groups. And cop bounces from several.
              It is not conducive to encouraging people to help you if they get
              pain for their efforts.

              What you're describing (posting to 4 groups to get lots of coverage) is
              symptomatic of there being lots of groups with THE SAME TOPIC. Really
              stupid. This is why I quietly sneer when someone seeking an egoboost
              says "look, I just made _another_ forum for discussing Topic X!!";
              they're just making things WORSE.

              This is why newsgroups are better than mailing lists in many ways.
              At least it's a single namespace, hierachical by topic - duplication of
              _topic_ is rare.

              Generally, pick the _best_ group for your request and send only there.
              Fall back on others if you meet with silence.
              --
              Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

              They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true
              freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born. - K. Dunn, _Geek Love_