ADSL modem

  • guldo76 <guldo@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2002
      Hello!
      Does anybody know if usb adsl modems work under linux?
      Do you have any advice?

      Thank you all,
      Guldo
    • Godwin Stewart
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2002
        On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:19:53 -0000, "guldo76 <guldo@...>"
        <guldo@...> wrote to LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com:

        > Does anybody know if usb adsl modems work under linux?
        > Do you have any advice?

        Some do. Which one did you have in mind?

        FWIW I've been using an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB for just pver a year now.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
        gstewart@...

        GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
        Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
        Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to the
        power of human idiocy.
      • guldo76 <guldo@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2002
          Thank you, Mr. Stewart.
          I think I'd have an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB, but I can't be sure.
          Anyway, if you had anything interesting to tell me about it (maybe
          some document I could or should look at for installation), it would be
          nice.

          Thanks,
          Guldo

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@g...>
          wrote:
          > On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:19:53 -0000, "guldo76 <guldo@h...>"
          > <guldo@h...> wrote to LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com:
          >
          > > Does anybody know if usb adsl modems work under linux?
          > > Do you have any advice?
          >
          > Some do. Which one did you have in mind?
          >
          > FWIW I've been using an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB for just pver a year now.
          >
          > --
          > G. Stewart -- gstewart@g...
          > gstewart@s...
          > Registered Linux user #284683
          >
          > GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
          > Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
          > Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to the
          > power of human idiocy.
        • Mark Hazell
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2002
            On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 20:33:54 -0000 guldo76 typed:

            > Thank you, Mr. Stewart.
            > I think I'd have an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB, but I can't be sure.
            > Anyway, if you had anything interesting to tell me about it (maybe
            > some document I could or should look at for installation), it would be
            > nice.

            It's easy to tell if you have one of these - it's green and designed to
            look like a stingray (although its nickname is the 'frog' - go figure!)

            Anyway, if you do have one of these, this is the page I followed to get
            mine working (step-by-step instructions):
            http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/user.en.php3

            And you'll find the files you need here:
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedtouch

            HTH,
            Mark.

            --
            "All that was needed was to parse the cat root slash dev etcetera file
            for eth0 and pugle the forward identity-locking rehooliginator and
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2002
              Thank you all very much!
              It would be easy to see what modem it is, if I DID have it...
              I do not.
              I still haven't got the adsl contract with the provider.
              I asked 'em what modem would I get, and I'm waiting for the answer.
              Anyway, I just realized that an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB (PPPoA) IS
              already supported by my Mdk8.2, that has all the necessary drivers...
              So it should work, IF it shall be an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB.

              Thank you all,
              Guldo

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
                On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:53:33 +0000, Mark Hazell <nutts@...> wrote
                to LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com:

                > It's easy to tell if you have one of these - it's green and designed to
                > look like a stingray (although its nickname is the 'frog' - go figure!)

                I thought its nickname *was* the "stingray", not the frog! Oh well.

                > Anyway, if you do have one of these, this is the page I followed to get
                > mine working (step-by-step instructions):
                > http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/user.en.php3
                >
                > And you'll find the files you need here:
                > http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedtouch

                Furthermore, this method is far more stable than the "official" Alcatel
                method, which requires patching the kernel (2.4.8 max) and manages to stay
                online for all of, ooooohh, 10 minutes at a go without crashing the box...

                --
                G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
                gstewart@...
                Registered Linux user #284683

                GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
                Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
                If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?
              • Jay Cornwall
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
                  On Tuesday 10 Dec 2002 00:14 am, "guldo76 wrote:

                  > Anyway, I just realized that an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB (PPPoA) IS
                  > already supported by my Mdk8.2, that has all the necessary drivers...
                  > So it should work, IF it shall be an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB.

                  I wasn't able to get my Speedtouch working with Mandrake's built-in Alcatel
                  drivers; maybe I'd misconfigured something, but IIRC it wouldn't attempt to
                  connect to the ISP without timing out.

                  Still, worth a try. And if it doesn't work, the links that Mark pointed you to
                  certainly will. They're stable too:

                  [jay@viper jay]$ ssh python uptime
                  10:36am up 24 days, 18:08, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

                  :)

                  Cheers,
                  Jay

                  --
                  http://www.evilrealms.net/ - Systems Administrator & Developer
                  http://www.ic.ac.uk/ - Imperial College, 2nd year CS student
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2005
                    Has anyone setup a conexant based USB ADSL modem in fedora core 3 ?
                    If so, please help me!

                    regards,
                    Arjun
                    http://blog.arjunprabhu.com