How to enable mouse wheel??

  • p_s_rathi
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello,
      I tried to install imwheel application to handle the wheel
      events. But its not functioning properly. I have logitech 3 buttons
      with wheel mouse.
      kindly suggest some solution
      Thanks
      Priti
    • Satish Lohar
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
        Add following lines in
        /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        # Modified by mouseconfig
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        EndSection

        cheers...

        p_s_rathi wrote:

        >Hello,
        > I tried to install imwheel application to handle the wheel
        >events. But its not functioning properly. I have logitech 3 buttons
        >with wheel mouse.
        >kindly suggest some solution
        >Thanks
        >Priti

      • Godwin Stewart
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
          From: "Satish Lohar" <satish@...>
          Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to enable mouse wheel??

          > Add following lines in
          > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

          That depends on the distro. I think XF86Config-4 is specific to Red Hat. My
          Slackware systems use the standard /etc/X11/XF86Config.

          G. Stewart.
        • Horror Vacui
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
            p_s_rathi wrote:

            >Hello,
            > I tried to install imwheel application to handle the wheel
            >events. But its not functioning properly. I have logitech 3 buttons
            >with wheel mouse.
            >kindly suggest some solution

            Find your XF86Config file - depending on the version of the X server it
            might be /etc/XF86Config, /etc/X11/XF86Config, /etc/XF11R6/XF86Config,
            /etc/XF11R6/XF86Config-4.... Quite confusing, yes. The XF86Config-4
            should be the right one if you're using XFree 4.2. Find the section
            saying something like:

            Section "InputDevice"
            Driver "mouse"
            Identifier "Mouse[1]"
            Option "Device" "/dev/pointer1"
            Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
            Option "Name" "Autodetection"
            Option "Protocol" "ps/2"
            Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
            Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            EndSection

            The "Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" is what does the work here. It maps
            the movements of the scroll wheel as mouse buttons 4 and 5. This is
            something that will work with most applications, though not all of them
            understand it.

            Cheers
            Horror Vacui
          • Godwin Stewart
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
              On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:23:49 +0100, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@...> wrote
              to LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com:

              > The XF86Config-4 should be the right one if you're using XFree 4.2.

              Not on Slackware 8.1 it isn't!

              I think the XF86Config/XF86Config-4 issue for XFree 4.2 is distro-dependent.

              --
              G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
              gstewart@...

              GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
              Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
              Everything that can be invented has been invented.
              -- Charles Duell, Director of U.S. Patent Office, 1899
            • p_s_rathi
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                Thanks a lot,
                I made following changes

                /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

                Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier "Mouse0"
                Driver "mouse"
                Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
                Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
                Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                EndSection

                --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@g...> wrote:
                > p_s_rathi wrote:
                >
                > >Hello,
                > > I tried to install imwheel application to handle the wheel
                > >events. But its not functioning properly. I have logitech 3
                buttons
                > >with wheel mouse.
                > >kindly suggest some solution
                > >

                > Find your XF86Config file - depending on the version of the X
                server it
                > might be /etc/XF86Config, /etc/X11/XF86Config,
                /etc/XF11R6/XF86Config,
                > /etc/XF11R6/XF86Config-4.... Quite confusing, yes. The
                XF86Config-4
                > should be the right one if you're using XFree 4.2. Find the
                section
                > saying something like:
                >
                > Section "InputDevice"
                > Driver "mouse"
                > Identifier "Mouse[1]"
                > Option "Device" "/dev/pointer1"
                > Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
                > Option "Name" "Autodetection"
                > Option "Protocol" "ps/2"
                > Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
                > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                > EndSection
                >
                > The "Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" is what does the work here. It
                maps
                > the movements of the scroll wheel as mouse buttons 4 and 5. This
                is
                > something that will work with most applications, though not all of
                them
                > understand it.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Horror Vacui
              • Horror Vacui
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Godwin Stewart wrote:

                  >From: "Satish Lohar" <satish@...>
                  >Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to enable mouse wheel??
                  >

                  >>Add following lines in
                  >>/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file
                  >>

                  >That depends on the distro. I think XF86Config-4 is specific to Red Hat. My
                  >Slackware systems use the standard /etc/X11/XF86Config.

                  It's not RH-specific, it's the config file for XFree 4 and above -
                  whether you have it or not depends on the way you've installed it. I
                  guess a new install will have the XF86Config-4 file, my (upgraded)
                  install stil uses the XF86Config. No problem with that, the -4 is only
                  the first one XFree 4 parses, if there's none it'll fall back to the old
                  one.

                  Cheers
                  Horror Vacui
                • Horror Vacui
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Godwin Stewart wrote:

                    >On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:23:49 +0100, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@...> wrote
                    >to LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com:
                    >

                    >>The XF86Config-4 should be the right one if you're using XFree 4.2.
                    >>

                    >Not on Slackware 8.1 it isn't!
                    >
                    >I think the XF86Config/XF86Config-4 issue for XFree 4.2 is distro-dependent.

                    Well, in so far as concerns the XFree configuration tools, you're right.
                    SaX2 insists on creating XF86Config (which is a good thing to do, seeing
                    that XFree 4 uses those all the same), if there's something like that on
                    Slackware, it might be the case with that tool too, possibly even the
                    xf86config tool generates no XF86Config-4 file because of
                    backward-compatibility. The XFree86 foundation says they want to use the
                    -4 file, however - aparently it doesn't mean much (and to be honest, I
                    don't see any reason to change the file name)

                    Cheers
                    Horror Vacui

                  • Andrea Muljono
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Hi,
                      I just installed RH last Sunday, and start to learn Linux. I usually use
                      Solaris (as a user) to work.
                      I have question how to mount FAT32 HDD to RH as there is a share data
                      between Win XP and RH. Could any body help me ?

                      Many thanks in advance.
                    • Chad Martin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
                        Andrea Muljono wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        > I just installed RH last Sunday, and start to learn Linux. I usually use
                        > Solaris (as a user) to work.
                        > I have question how to mount FAT32 HDD to RH as there is a share data
                        > between Win XP and RH. Could any body help me ?

                        This is covered in the FAQ for the list:

                        http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#Windows

                        It's a good idea to at least scan through that FAQ if you're new to
                        Linux. If you have any questions after reading the information there,
                        we'll be happy to help.

                        Chad Martin
                      • Horror Vacui
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2002
                          Andrea Muljono wrote:

                          >Hi,
                          > I just installed RH last Sunday, and start to learn Linux. I usually use
                          >Solaris (as a user) to work.
                          >I have question how to mount FAT32 HDD to RH as there is a share data
                          >between Win XP and RH. Could any body help me ?

                          You need to know which partition/disk the FAT volume is, and you need an
                          empty directory to mount it on. For instance, if your FAT drive is the
                          first partition on the master disk, on the primary IDE controller, it's
                          /dev/hda1. You can mount that to the directory /mnt/fat (or whichever
                          name you like) with the command:
                          mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/fat
                          If you want this partition to be mounted automatically, you can edit
                          your /etc/fstab file and add a line saying:
                          /dev/hda1 /mnt/fat vfat user 0 0

                          Cheers
                          Horror Vacui
                        • Justin Churchey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 6, 2002
                            --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Andrea Muljono <andream@j...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            > I just installed RH last Sunday, and start to learn Linux. I
                            usually use
                            > Solaris (as a user) to work.
                            > I have question how to mount FAT32 HDD to RH as there is a
                            share data
                            > between Win XP and RH. Could any body help me ?
                            >
                            > Many thanks in advance.

                            You can find out what partition to mount by running the following
                            command as root:

                            fdisk -l /dev/hda

                            It will list the different partitions and their file systems.