Re: [LINUX_Newbies] help with linux version

  • Godwin Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:46:27 +0530, "Kaushik Srenevasan" <yvarahan@...>
      squashed this out of the keyboard:

      > i have a HP Pavilion 6615, with the following system config. Please
      > suggest a version of Linux that would support the following devices.

      Just about any distro will, except for the following remarks:

      > Fax/data modem
      > Attribute
      > Properties
      >
      > Data speed
      > V.90 56 kilobits per second (Kbps)

      What kind of modem is this, a winmodem? If so you're headed for problems.

      > Video
      > Attribute
      > Properties
      >
      > Video graphics
      > PCI Local Bus
      >
      > Controller
      > SiS Integrated

      This will be slooooooooooooow. SiS graphics adapters run slower than
      molasses at the North Pole at the best of times, having one on a PCI bus
      rather than AGP certainly isn't going to help. Furthermore, there have been
      issues about SiS support in XFree86. If you can upgrade your graphics
      adapter then don't hesitate to do so.

      > Sound/audio
      > Attribute
      > Properties
      >
      > Compatibility
      > 3-D stereo, PCI, 32-bit sound
      >
      > Controller
      > Aureal 8810

      Never heard of it. If it's 100% soundblaster-compatible you might be able to
      get away with it. If not, don't hold your breath.

      > External ports
      > Port type
      > Quantity
      >
      > USB
      > 2

      This doesn't tell us what chipset the USB controller uses!

      --
      G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
      gstewart@...

      GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
      Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
      Notice spotted in a field:
      THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD
      FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES
    • Jerry A. Stevens
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        On Wednesday 02 October 2002 12:16 pm, you wrote:
        > i have a HP Pavilion 6615, with the following system config. Please
        > suggest a version of Linux that would support the following devices.

        Well, just about any distro. I like Mandrake for newbies, but RedHat and SuSE
        are very good also. Information on distros is available at:

        http://www.distrowatch.com

        Enjoy,

        Jerry