Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Debian Woody Install

  • Scott Robbins
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
      On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez wrote:

      > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > First, check the Deb /boot partition. Is there a vmlinuz,
      > > or
      > > vmlinuz-2.4.x (or 2.2.x) in there? Let's say there's a
      > > vmlinuz, which is
      > > in RH at least, usually a link to the kernel
      > >
      > > root (hd0,5)
      > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
      > >

      > > Let me know if it works.
      >
      > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's the
      > recap:
      >

      > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again, I'm
      > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
      > around a bit for a month or two.

      There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked /boot?

      Scott
    • Nile Gomez
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
        --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
        > On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > First, check the Deb /boot partition. Is there a
        > vmlinuz,
        > > > or
        > > > vmlinuz-2.4.x (or 2.2.x) in there? Let's say there's
        > > > vmlinuz, which is
        > > > in RH at least, usually a link to the kernel
        > > >
        > > > root (hd0,5)
        > > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
        > > >

        > > > Let me know if it works.
        > >
        > > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's
        > the
        > > recap:
        > >

        > > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again,
        > I'm
        > > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
        > > around a bit for a month or two.
        >
        > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked
        > /boot?
        >
        > Scott

        I found a file in the boot directory called
        "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".

        I typed in:

        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6

        in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted. What
        am I doing wrong here?

        Nile

        =====

        ---

        God Bless America!

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Mike Peters
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
          On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
          Nile Gomez <nilegomez@...> wrote:

          > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
          > > On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez
          > > wrote:

          > > vmlinuz,

          > > > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's
          > > the
          > > > recap:
          > > >

          > > > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again,
          > > I'm
          > > > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
          > > > around a bit for a month or two.
          > >
          > > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked
          > > /boot?
          > >
          > > Scott
          >
          > I found a file in the boot directory called
          > "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".
          >
          > I typed in:
          >
          > root (hd0,5)
          > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
          >
          > in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted. What
          > am I doing wrong here?

          I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

          Try

          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci ro root=/dev/hda6

          ie the full name of the file. Also that error message might just tell us exactly what the problem is, could you send it in.
          --
          Mike

          o88 oooo
          oo ooo oooo oooo 888 ooooo ooooooooo8
          888 888 888 888 888o888 888oooooo8
          888 888 888 888 8888 88o 888
          o888o888o888o o888o o888o o888o 88oooo888

          Registered Linux User #247123

          It wasn't that her [Susan's] parents didn't believe in such things. They didn't need to believe in them. They knew they existed. They just wished they didn't.
          (Hogfather)
        • Nile Gomez
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
            --- Mike Peters <mpeters@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
            > Nile Gomez <nilegomez@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:

            > > > vmlinuz,
            > there's

            > Here's
            > > > the

            > again,
            > > > I'm
            > tooling
            > > >
            > > > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd /
            > marked
            > > > /boot?
            > > >
            > > > Scott
            > >
            > > I found a file in the boot directory called
            > > "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".
            > >
            > > I typed in:
            > >
            > > root (hd0,5)
            > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
            > >
            > > in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted.
            > What
            > > am I doing wrong here?
            >
            > I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if
            > I'm repeating anything.
            >
            > Try
            >
            > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci ro root=/dev/hda6
            >
            > ie the full name of the file. Also that error message
            > might just tell us exactly what the problem is, could you
            > send it in.
            > --
            > Mike

            Thanks Mike. That did the trick!