Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Debian Woody Install

  • Nile Gomez
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
      --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:

      > > Ok, so Debian's installed... I accidentally made KDM
      > the
      > > default desktopmanager (I would have preferred GDM).
      > That's
      > > not a HUGE issue (for now).
      > >
      > > As I expected, I can only boot from the floppy. I have
      > > Win2K on hda1, and the RH boot partition on hda2, with
      > the
      > > Redhat partition being hda3, and hda5 being the swap
      > > partition (don't ask me what happened to hda4!).
      > >
      > > Debian is installed on hda6. I can't seem to figure out
      > > what the correct grub.conf entry should be. I've tried:
      > >
      > > title Debian
      > > rootnoverify (hd0,5)
      > > chainloader +1
      >
      > First, check the Deb /boot partition. Is there a vmlinuz,
      > or
      > vmlinuz-2.4.x (or 2.2.x) in there? Let's say there's a
      > vmlinuz, which is
      > in RH at least, usually a link to the kernel
      >
      > root (hd0,5)
      > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
      >

      > Let me know if it works.

      Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's the
      recap:

      hda1 = Win2K partition (fat)
      hda2 = Redhat 7.3 boot partition (ext3)
      hda3 = Redhat 7.3 partition (ext 3)
      hda4 = is an Extended partition consisting of,
      hda5 = shared linux swap partition
      hda6 = Debian (ext2)

      I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again, I'm
      still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
      around a bit for a month or two.

      Am I screwed? Is this correctable? Am I doomed to boot from
      the floppy into Debian forever?

      Nile

      P.S. Scott, I'm getting my checkbook out now...

      =====

      ---

      God Bless America!

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Scott Robbins
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
        On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez wrote:

        > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > First, check the Deb /boot partition. Is there a vmlinuz,
        > > or
        > > vmlinuz-2.4.x (or 2.2.x) in there? Let's say there's a
        > > vmlinuz, which is
        > > in RH at least, usually a link to the kernel
        > >
        > > root (hd0,5)
        > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
        > >

        > > Let me know if it works.
        >
        > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's the
        > recap:
        >

        > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again, I'm
        > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
        > around a bit for a month or two.

        There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked /boot?

        Scott
      • Nile Gomez
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
          --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
          > On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > First, check the Deb /boot partition. Is there a
          > vmlinuz,
          > > > or
          > > > vmlinuz-2.4.x (or 2.2.x) in there? Let's say there's
          > > > vmlinuz, which is
          > > > in RH at least, usually a link to the kernel
          > > >
          > > > root (hd0,5)
          > > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
          > > >

          > > > Let me know if it works.
          > >
          > > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's
          > the
          > > recap:
          > >

          > > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again,
          > I'm
          > > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
          > > around a bit for a month or two.
          >
          > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked
          > /boot?
          >
          > Scott

          I found a file in the boot directory called
          "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".

          I typed in:

          root (hd0,5)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6

          in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted. What
          am I doing wrong here?

          Nile

          =====

          ---

          God Bless America!

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Mike Peters
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
            On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
            Nile Gomez <nilegomez@...> wrote:

            > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:
            > > On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 01:33:39PM -0700, Nile Gomez
            > > wrote:

            > > vmlinuz,

            > > > Ok... so I found out what happened to hda4... Here's
            > > the
            > > > recap:
            > > >

            > > > I don't see a Debian boot partition, but then again,
            > > I'm
            > > > still pretty new to all this although I've been tooling
            > > > around a bit for a month or two.
            > >
            > > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd / marked
            > > /boot?
            > >
            > > Scott
            >
            > I found a file in the boot directory called
            > "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".
            >
            > I typed in:
            >
            > root (hd0,5)
            > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
            >
            > in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted. What
            > am I doing wrong here?

            I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

            Try

            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci ro root=/dev/hda6

            ie the full name of the file. Also that error message might just tell us exactly what the problem is, could you send it in.
            --
            Mike

            o88 oooo
            oo ooo oooo oooo 888 ooooo ooooooooo8
            888 888 888 888 888o888 888oooooo8
            888 888 888 888 8888 88o 888
            o888o888o888o o888o o888o o888o 88oooo888

            Registered Linux User #247123

            It wasn't that her [Susan's] parents didn't believe in such things. They didn't need to believe in them. They knew they existed. They just wished they didn't.
            (Hogfather)
          • Nile Gomez
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2002
              --- Mike Peters <mpeters@...> wrote:
              > On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
              > Nile Gomez <nilegomez@...> wrote:
              >

              > > --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:

              > > > vmlinuz,
              > there's

              > Here's
              > > > the

              > again,
              > > > I'm
              > tooling
              > > >
              > > > There's no partition in there, say, if you do cd /
              > marked
              > > > /boot?
              > > >
              > > > Scott
              > >
              > > I found a file in the boot directory called
              > > "vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci".
              > >
              > > I typed in:
              > >
              > > root (hd0,5)
              > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda6
              > >
              > > in grub.conf and got an error message when I rebooted.
              > What
              > > am I doing wrong here?
              >
              > I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if
              > I'm repeating anything.
              >
              > Try
              >
              > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci ro root=/dev/hda6
              >
              > ie the full name of the file. Also that error message
              > might just tell us exactly what the problem is, could you
              > send it in.
              > --
              > Mike

              Thanks Mike. That did the trick!