Re: Notepad versus Wordpad when editing the hosts and .ini files

  • horrorvacui1
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2002
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., "Scott Robbins" <scottro@d...> wrote:

> [...]

      Oh, come on. A text file is a text file. There's nothing that can be
      different in the way Notepad or Wordpad create & save files, except
      that if not saving it as .doc, Wordpad at least snatches a chance to
      annoy me by asking do I really, really want to save as text - I
      "prefer" notepad. Or is there anything?

      > > By the way, why are you editing linux/unix files with Windows
      programs?

      > Yes, I was wondering if this was possibly misposted by mistake. :)

      I rather thought we had an agent provocateur amongst us. Or the
      question was a flame-bait. Just in case, you can always count on me:

      Real men use Vim! No, not emacs - those are pagan. We from the cult of
      vi (http://www.splange.freeserve.co.uk/misc/vi.html) bear a word of
      truth into the world, and we will come out victorious out of this holy
      war (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/holy-wars.html). We
      make no distinction of colour, race or OS, and you can use vi on any
      conceivable OS. Repent, and see the truth!

      Cheers
      Horror Vacui
    • Peter Brayman
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2002
        Actually a big problem with Windows/Unix interoperability is the way they
        handle line breaks. Unix (vim/emacs) likes just a plain CR (but will deal
        with CR/LF okay), whereas notepad likes a CR/LF and will make things very
        messy if it's just a CR. Haven't tried it to see if Wordpad will do just the
        plain CR.

        Pete

        > I never knew that--that will actually be handy for me, for html
        pages, which
        > I will be editing sometimes in MS, sometimes in Linux.

        Oh, come on. A text file is a text file. There's nothing that can be
        different in the way Notepad or Wordpad create & save files, except
        that if not saving it as .doc, Wordpad at least snatches a chance to
        annoy me by asking do I really, really want to save as text - I
        "prefer" notepad. Or is there anything?

        > > By the way, why are you editing linux/unix files with Windows
        programs?

        > Yes, I was wondering if this was possibly misposted by mistake. :)

        I rather thought we had an agent provocateur amongst us. Or the
        question was a flame-bait. Just in case, you can always count on me:

        Real men use Vim! No, not emacs - those are pagan. We from the cult of
        vi (http://www.splange.freeserve.co.uk/misc/vi.html) bear a word of
        truth into the world, and we will come out victorious out of this holy
        war (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/holy-wars.html). We
        make no distinction of colour, race or OS, and you can use vi on any
        conceivable OS. Repent, and see the truth!

        Cheers
        Horror Vacui

        To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2002
          On 23:10 2002/05/02 +0000, horrorvacui1 wrote

          >Real men use Vim! No, not emacs - those are pagan. We from the cult of
          >vi (http://www.splange.freeserve.co.uk/misc/vi.html) bear a word of
          >truth into the world, and we will come out victorious out of this holy
          >war (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/holy-wars.html). We
          >make no distinction of colour, race or OS, and you can use vi on any
          >conceivable OS. Repent, and see the truth!

          LOL--I don't know if you're very droll, or I'm simply suffering from lack
          of sleep, but that quite literally made me laugh out loud.

          Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2002
            On 19:26 2002/05/02 -0400, Peter Brayman wrote
            >Actually a big problem with Windows/Unix interoperability is the way they
            >handle line breaks. Unix (vim/emacs) likes just a plain CR (but will deal
            >with CR/LF okay), whereas notepad likes a CR/LF and will make things very
            >messy if it's just a CR. Haven't tried it to see if Wordpad will do just the
            >plain CR.

            Yeah, that's what I thought the other post was saying, I'll have to check it.

            The formula by the way (though most probably know it) to get rid of the
            ^M's all over the place is, in vi
            :%s/Ctrl+v Ctrl +M//g
            (took me awhile to figure out that ctrl V makes the ctrl M show up
            correctly--of course, when you next open the file in notepad, it looks
            peculiar.0 ) :)
            Scott
          • Godwin Stewart
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2002
              On Thu, 2 May 2002 19:26:54 -0400, "Peter Brayman" <peteb@...> wrote
              to <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>:

              > Actually a big problem with Windows/Unix interoperability is the way they
              > handle line breaks. Unix (vim/emacs) likes just a plain CR (but will deal
              > with CR/LF okay), whereas notepad likes a CR/LF and will make things very
              > messy if it's just a CR. Haven't tried it to see if Wordpad will do just
              > the plain CR.

              Actually it's a LF (0x0A) in the *nix world. It's a CR (0x0D) on a Mac
              platform, and CR+LF in DOS/Windosws.

              Just to split hairs....

              | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
              | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
            • horrorvacui1
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2002
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Scott <scottro@d...> wrote:
                > On 23:10 2002/05/02 +0000, horrorvacui1 wrote
                >
                > >Real men use Vim! No, not emacs - those are pagan. We from the cult of
                > >vi (http://www.splange.freeserve.co.uk/misc/vi.html) bear a word of
                > >truth into the world, and we will come out victorious out of this holy
                > >war (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/holy-wars.html). We
                > >make no distinction of colour, race or OS, and you can use vi on any
                > >conceivable OS. Repent, and see the truth!
                >

                > LOL--I don't know if you're very droll, or I'm simply suffering from
                lack
                > of sleep, but that quite literally made me laugh out loud.
                >
                > Scott

                Yes, I was laughing out loud the first time I heard about it myself.
                You might find it even funnier that on many Linux conventions, Cult of
                Vi vs. Church of emacs (http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/religion/)- holy
                war battles are organized, using paintball weapons. The Cult of Vi,
                being the only true text editor religion, of course always wins. Last
                I read news from the battlefield, it was 4:1 for us. However, it's not
                all that rosy. The Church of emacs has a saint, St. IGNUcius, which in
                his earthly life hears to the reputated name of Richard Stallman
                (http://www.stallman.org/saint.html). This is a significant blow to
                the Cult, as it can deceive many people of good will into paganism
                propagated by the Church of emacs.

                Cheers
                Horror Vacui
              • Andres Rosado-Sepulveda
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2002
                  At 11:10 PM 5/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Oh, come on. A text file is a text file. There's nothing that can be
                  >different in the way Notepad or Wordpad create & save files, except
                  >that if not saving it as .doc, Wordpad at least snatches a chance to
                  >annoy me by asking do I really, really want to save as text - I
                  >"prefer" notepad. Or is there anything?

                  For Windows, several. Metapad can save as DOS, UNIX and Unicode formats.

                  > > > By the way, why are you editing linux/unix files with Windows
                  >programs?
                  > >
                  > > Yes, I was wondering if this was possibly misposted by mistake. :)
                  >
                  >I rather thought we had an agent provocateur amongst us. Or the
                  >question was a flame-bait. Just in case, you can always count on me:
                  >
                  >Real men use Vim! No, not emacs - those are pagan.

                  <joke>What's your problem with me? </joke>

                  >We from the cult of
                  >vi (http://www.splange.freeserve.co.uk/misc/vi.html) bear a word of
                  >truth into the world, and we will come out victorious out of this holy
                  >war (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/holy-wars.html). We
                  >make no distinction of colour, race or OS, and you can use vi on any
                  >conceivable OS. Repent, and see the truth!

                  That's exactly what the EMACS cult says, but I can't find where that is in
                  my bookmarks right now. :)

                  -----------------------------------
                  Andrés Rosado-Sepúlveda
                  Electrical Engineering Student
                  University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus
                  E-mail: andresr@...
                • Andres Rosado
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2002
                    At 07:26 PM 5/2/2002 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Actually a big problem with Windows/Unix interoperability is the way they
                    >handle line breaks. Unix (vim/emacs) likes just a plain CR (but will deal
                    >with CR/LF okay), whereas notepad likes a CR/LF and will make things very
                    >messy if it's just a CR. Haven't tried it to see if Wordpad will do just the
                    >plain CR.

                    There is a small program called Metapad, which can read and write Unix and
                    Windows text files, as well as Unicode. It can be found at:

                    http://welcome.to/metapad

                    Andres Rosado
                    Email: andresr@...
                    ICQ: 66750646