thanks everyone for the ideas!

  • Kevin Myrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      Hey everyone,

      You all have been a tremendous help in giving me some
      ideas and perspectives on doing a Linux webpage. (If I
      told you peeps what I was actually going to write the
      page in, I think I would be banned from the group
      forever, so I'll just let you guys think what you want
      to.)

      Anyhow, didn't mean to inadvertantly start a
      distro-war here, although it seems like one happens
      every day here as well, so that is of no importance.

      As for a sidestep about Mandrake. Me and my uncle (he
      is the one who owns the bandwith and servers I hope to
      use in my little project here...) we have tried and
      tried with Mandrake to get it to install on a 900MHz
      Athlon Thunderbird with 384MB of RAM, so as not to
      have to reinstall with 32MB. For some odd reason, and
      this is my problem, it like to install with 32MB of
      RAM at PC-133, and will run X that way, but if you
      throw in all the memory at the install, it seems that
      the computer is running too fast for X. How do I get
      it to install with the 384MB of memory, but still be
      able to run X to configure the stuff we need to.
      (Note: We want to run the Apache-TUX. For some reason
      or another, and I still haven't read anywhere where
      this is true, my uncle thinks that this is the basic
      server used in IBM's Linux Distro for websphere. I
      dunno, I just let him rant.)

      Another thing, when people do Howto's and publish them
      on the internet, other people need to look over them
      for basic logic, grammer and spelling errors. You
      would not believe how much of a problem I have had
      trying to figure out what a guy wrote in the
      Linux-Firewall-HOWTO off of the LDC... maybe I should
      have that as part of my page too, good docs that
      people can actually READ!

      Thanks once again!
      Kevin Myrick
      http://www.ultimatealchemy.com