31924Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Anyone notice disk-burning is different?

  • Gene C. Falck
    Jun 8, 2014
      Hi Joan,

      You wrote:

      I first noticed on my old Ubuntu 10.04 tower that Brasero wouldn't burn, so I used K3B. Then today, I noticed there was a community release of an Enlightenment PcLinuxOS iso, that might be a good fit for a friend's laptop where Bodhi's new CD wouldn't work, PAE probably is the problem, or the 512 MB RAM. I found it using my AM2 tower, but my old Ubuntu 10.04 is still my store house. However, the server says it's not there "OOPS!" Anyone run into that before?
      So, I downloaded with my AM2 with no such notice, but again I had to use K3B to burn it instead. However, it's good news for this Sony Vaio laptop owner, even with the wi-fi turned off, it saw it and the Network Center allowed it to see nearby access points when turned on, both by Live CD and installed. The AM2 is running Mint Mate 16 running at 64-bit. Old computers can't boot from the USB, so I hope they don't retire them any time soon.

      Hmm! there seem to be more weird wrinkles to
      the download process than I would imagine.

      I have 1 GB of RAM and Mint (Mate) 16 has been
      chugging along (no slower than I would expect
      given the ancient Gateway hardware). I still am
      hoping version 17 will work just as well.

      Back when I started with this, I visited the BIOS
      and found it quite easy to set it to boot from a
      USB drive as the first choice, so the age of my
      hardware wasn't a killer in that regard.

      I did try one of my apparently OK WiFi sites
      today and got disappointingly mixed results
      somehow, even though I was at the website
      for "the real thing," what was coming through
      was a -rc version instead. I'm not sure how it
      did that but I see, in looking through my past
      downloads that, on one of my attempts to get
      Mint, I got a copy of the Fusion .iso instead.
      At the time I didn't notice that but, of course,
      it didn't give me an MD5 match.

      Anyhow, the -rc one appeared to stall out and
      wasn't what I wanted anyhow. When I clicked
      on Quit Safari, the program reported that, to
      my surprise, **two** downloads were running!

      I'll keep trying.

      --

      Regards,

      Gene Falck