31227Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Distro downloads and burns

    Sep 30, 2013
      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 02:33:52PM -0700, adeucalion@... wrote:

      > In the past I have downloaded supposedly live iso files of os's and tried to
      > make a bootable cd/dvd. The site assured me that the file would boot. When I
      > burn it though It makes a folder with the system files inside and the bios
      > cannot find the kernel. I am concluding that I am using the wrong burn software
      > (roxio) or selecting the wrong options. Can someone suggest an alternate way to
      > get a distro installed?

      You can try using unetbootin. (I'm assuming that you are doing this from
      Windows.) http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

      You can't just copy the iso to a CD Rom. I'm unfamiliar with how Windows
      does it, but there should be an option to create an image, rather than just
      copy the iso file.

      Several distributions also offer images that can be copied directly to USB
      sticks, if that's an option for you.

      If you mention which distribution you want to try, someone will probably
      have some experience with that specific distribution. Also mention what
      system you're using to burn it.

      Lastly, though you probably know this, some computers only have a CD drive,
      and a person tries to burn a DVD image to a CD which won't work.