31165Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

    Aug 29, 2013
      Good afternoon
      Thank You for Email and Help.
      Do Aug 29 18:36:00 2013

      Am 14.08.2013 11:14, schrieb Cameron Simpson:> On 14Aug2013 09:34,
      highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:

      > | > I don't understand this question.
      > | *
      > | What do I have to save
      > | when I want to decide:
      > | Stop using Xubuntu. I install a fresh Siduction (or SuSe or whatever)
      > | and I want to delete Xubuntu.
      >
      > Step 0: back up your /home to somewhere (this can be as simple as
      > copying it to a USB stick or such).
      *
      This is very important: To produce a backup
      if all things do crash.

      > Step 1: Install.
      >
      > You've got two basic choices here:
      >
      > If you have /home as a separate partition, you can probably arrange
      > to NOT reformat it during the new install. So: during the install,
      > keep the existing partitioning, and do not wipe the /home partition.
      > This is dependent on the install process for the new OS.
      >
      > OR, wipe the whole machine (just install over the top, with fresh
      > partitions and a blank /home) and then just restore your backup
      > into /home afterwards.

      *
      The only problem is
      how to backup
      thunderbird
      and
      claws
      all other files are easy to copy to usb or dvd.

      > | > A more normal pattern is that third party executables/packages go
      > | > in /usr/local or /opt depending on style, on the premise that you
      > | > are installing them for all users of the computer to access.
      > | *
      > | Premise is:
      > | Root means admin does install.
      > | All users can use it.
      >
      > Generally, yes.
      *
      OK

      > | > If you are installing a third party exeutable/package only for
      > | > yourself (for example, experimental or insufficiently tested software
      > | > for some special purpose) you would install it in a directory inside
      > | > your own home directory (such as the "bin" you propose).
      > | *
      > | Ok
      > |

      > | > If you are doing that, it would be sensible to do as you suggested
      > | > and have a "bin" for third party stuff and a "mybin" for your own
      > | > stuff. Just mention both of them in your $PATH in whichever order
      suits
      > | > your own policy.
      > | *
      > | This is my question:
      > | Should I declare
      > | bin/mybin files
      > | in $path
      > | or does Linux find the executable file
      > | because
      > | mybin is a subdirectory of bin?
      >
      > The former. You need to name both directories. BTW, it is more common
      to make:

      > $HOME/bin
      > $HOME/mybin
      *
      Ok
      Thank You.

      > instead of:
      >
      > $HOME/bin/mybin
      >
      > i.e. put them side by side, not one inside the other.
      >
      > Cheers,
      Regards