31144Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

  • Cameron Simpson
    Aug 14, 2013
      On 14Aug2013 09:34, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
      | > | *
      | > | Ok
      | > | Should I also back up the whole home
      | > | by changing for example from Xubuntu to Siduction?
      | >
      | > I don't understand this question.
      | *
      | What do I have to save
      | when I want to decide:
      | Stop using Xubuntu. I install a fresh Siduction (or SuSe or whatever)
      | and I want to delete Xubuntu.

      Step 0: back up your /home to somewhere (this can be as simple as
      copying it to a USB stick or such).

      Step 1: Install.

      You've got two basic choices here:

      If you have /home as a separate partition, you can probably arrange
      to NOT reformat it during the new install. So: during the install,
      keep the existing partitioning, and do not wipe the /home partition.
      This is dependent on the install process for the new OS.

      OR, wipe the whole machine (just install over the top, with fresh
      partitions and a blank /home) and then just restore your backup
      into /home afterwards.

      | > A more normal pattern is that third party executables/packages go
      | > in /usr/local or /opt depending on style, on the premise that you
      | > are installing them for all users of the computer to access.
      | *
      | Premise is:
      | Root means admin does install.
      | All users can use it.

      Generally, yes.

      | > If you are installing a third party exeutable/package only for
      | > yourself (for example, experimental or insufficiently tested software
      | > for some special purpose) you would install it in a directory inside
      | > your own home directory (such as the "bin" you propose).
      | *
      | Ok
      |

      | > If you are doing that, it would be sensible to do as you suggested
      | > and have a "bin" for third party stuff and a "mybin" for your own
      | > stuff. Just mention both of them in your $PATH in whichever order suits
      | > your own policy.
      | *
      | This is my question:
      | Should I declare
      | bin/mybin files
      | in $path
      | or does Linux find the executable file
      | because
      | mybin is a subdirectory of bin?

      The former. You need to name both directories. BTW, it is more common to make:

      $HOME/bin
      $HOME/mybin

      instead of:

      $HOME/bin/mybin

      i.e. put them side by side, not one inside the other.

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

      A lot of people don't know the difference between a violin and a viola, so
      I'll tell you. A viola burns longer. - Victor Borge
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic